Segmentation error

Post by Christopher J. Matter » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I got the problem on running a command with my 43p-260 machine.
> When i run the command, it give me the error message,
> "segmentation fault:core dump."
> Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance.

Care to tell us what the command *is*?  Segmentation fault is
a catch-all error usually produced by a bug in the program's
memory allocation routines.  Report the bug with full details
about how it occured to whoever made the program.  Include the
core file it generated when it dumped.

Quote:> Please reply to my e-mail address directly.

No.  If you want the newsgroup to answer your questions,
read the newsgroup.

                          Chris Mattern

1. segmentation errors

I am having problems with a new Slackware/XFree 3.1 installation. I am new
to Linux, so I am unsure how to troubleshoot my problem from here.

After doing the Slackware Pro 2.1 installation, which appeared to go well.
I tried to compile the first program from an Introduction to X Windows by
Jones. After fixing a few problems with the program, I got it to compile,
but when I run the resulting binary I get a segementation error. I
initially wrote this off as something wrong with the program.

Now I install SWiM 2.0, and after installation, when I run mwm I get the
same Segmentation error. I am beginning to suspect that I have a deeper
problem with my installation.

What is a Segmentation error?

Any ideas on how I can narrow down my problem further?

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Scott Harper

--
Scott Harper
Cisco Systems

2. Final format spacing for command results

3. Segmentation Error.. Continued.

4. Problem that causes window crash

5. dosemu -> Segmentation error

6. Ticket Tracker Software - Track User Requests

7. segmentation error loading the menu bar in GNOME

8. question:the source of telnet

9. Segmentation error at apachectl startup

10. segmentation error

11. Segmentation error and TOP

12. segmentation errors on mounted vfat drives

13. Segmentation Error, pls help.