Sending emails from a AIX server using a smtp server

Sending emails from a AIX server using a smtp server

Post by Ram » Thu, 09 May 2002 09:48:50

Hi,
We use the mail command  in the korn-shell scripts  on our servers to
send the email notifications to ourselves.

Recently network administrator changed the configuration on the router
so that we don't get emails anymore. We were told to use the one of the
smtp server to send the mail.

Can anybody tell me how to send the email thru smtp server from aix
server?

Thanks in advance.
Ram

:
: Recently network administrator changed the configuration on the router
: so that we don't get emails anymore. We were told to use the one of the
: smtp server to send the mail.
:
: Can anybody tell me how to send the email thru smtp server from aix
: server?
:
: Thanks in advance.
: Ram
:
You could use a command-line mailer like cwsmail, whose arguments are:

  1. smtp-host (smtp server)

  4. file (optional)

The source and a Win32 executable are available:

  ftp://clio.rice.edu/pub/cwsmail.c
  ftp://clio.rice.edu/pub/cwsmail.exe

Here's how to compile it on Windows, along with a sample execution,
with the line wrapped for readability:

  c:\> cl -DWIN32 cwsmail.c wsock32.lib

        message.txt

It also works on unix and OpenVMS (with the SMTP service enabled in
an OpenVMS TCP/IP stack).

Post by Simon Marches » Thu, 09 May 2002 17:27:22

> Hi,
> We use the mail command  in the korn-shell scripts  on our servers to
> send the email notifications to ourselves.

> Recently network administrator changed the configuration on the router
> so that we don't get emails anymore. We were told to use the one of the
> smtp server to send the mail.

> Can anybody tell me how to send the email thru smtp server from aix
> server?

> Thanks in advance.
> Ram

Now, I don't know *why* this works for me but if I need to send mail to a

sending it from is not running sendmail but I know of another machine which
is (smtp server), and that's called "smtp.server.com", then the following
incantation works for me:

Sending emails from a AIX server using a smtp server

Post by Hans-Joachim Ehler » Thu, 09 May 2002 18:19:09

Hi Smion,

<snip>

> Now, I don't know *why* this works for me but if I need to send mail to a

> sending it from is not running sendmail but I know of another machine
which
> is (smtp server), and that's called "smtp.server.com", then the following
> incantation works for me:

Then it tries to send this message to the new adress.
Hopefully this email server is not open to the public because its a nice
door for spammer.

Hajo

Sending emails from a AIX server using a smtp server

Post by Chenus Thierry » Fri, 10 May 2002 23:19:23

Simon,

You don't need to have sendmail running if you just want to send mail. The
mail command call sendmail directly to send a mail message. sendmail
running on the server is only necessary to serve smtp or to empty the mail queue
if any.

Thierry