Make Aix Run Faster

Post by David R. Moor » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 03:25:00

Dear Folks,
     How do I make my AIX run faster?
Thanks for any help

Make Aix Run Faster

Post by Peter Puc » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 08:25:01

stop hitting the enter key

Quote:> Dear Folks,
>      How do I make my AIX run faster?
> Thanks for any help

Make Aix Run Faster

Post by Douglas R. Probs » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 09:08:45

Turn the speed dial up to FAST

Quote:> Dear Folks,
>      How do I make my AIX run faster?
> Thanks for any help

Make Aix Run Faster

Post by Dan Fost » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 15:50:18

Quote:>Dear Folks,
>     How do I make my AIX run faster?

Only one way. Buy a Regatta (pSeries 690) server. Trust me, it
*will* run AIX much faster. :)

But if you're looking for performance tuning tips, then you need
to describe your system, what model, what type and how fast CPU,
how much memory, what kind of network (and speed), what apps run
on it, what OS version it is and what maint level patch set it has
loaded, where you see slowness and how you want to optimize things,
etc.

-Dan

Make Aix Run Faster

Post by Norman Levi » Mon, 08 Jul 2002 08:30:42

>> Dear Folks,
>>      How do I make my AIX run faster?
>> Thanks for any help

Plug it into 440V?
norm

Make Aix Run Faster

Post by Ed Wrigh » Tue, 09 Jul 2002 06:35:21

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 18:30:42 -0500, "Norman Levin"

>>> Dear Folks,
>>>      How do I make my AIX run faster?
>>> Thanks for any help
>Plug it into 440V?
>norm

3 phase of course

Do a good thing
Visit and support
http://home.pacifier.com/~wildones
A Fine Cat Sanctuary
I hope one day to become the kind of person my cat thinks I am

vidi venci veni

Make Aix Run Faster

Post by Nick Hayne » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:38:19

> On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 18:30:42 -0500, "Norman Levin"

>>Plug it into 440V?
>>norm

> 3 phase of course

connected to three different power supplies?  And then stick your
fingers in random places inside the machine?
Quote:

> Do a good thing
> Visit and support
> http://home.pacifier.com/~wildones
> A Fine Cat Sanctuary
> I hope one day to become the kind of person my cat thinks I am

> vidi venci veni

Make Aix Run Faster

Post by Bela Gazd » Wed, 17 Jul 2002 23:06:16

>> On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 18:30:42 -0500, "Norman Levin"

>>>Plug it into 440V?
>>>norm

>> 3 phase of course

NH> connected to three different power supplies?  And then stick your
NH> fingers in random places inside the machine?

Jalape?o Peppers applied to the backplane; This method could even earn IBM's
approval;> See  http://www.research.ibm.com/jalapeno/

--
Bela Gazdy, EUCLID/AIX Systems Support

"...who shook his family tree, and a bunch of NUTS fell out."

Make Aix Run Faster

Post by Dan Fost » Mon, 22 Jul 2002 15:08:46

Quote:> someone (unknown):
>> 3 phase of course

>connected to three different power supplies?  And then stick your
>fingers in random places inside the machine?

Nah. It's easy -- just pick up the NEMA L6-30R connector for the
3 phase power on end of the power cord, and* the capacitors.

Strange and really interesting things are bound to happen. :-)

(***NOTE***: kids, _DO NOT_ try this at work!)

-Dan

1. making a cgi script / program run faster

Hi

I have a redhat 6.1 box that runs apache - this server has some
documentation and a couple of cgi scripts that can be called. When
testing the scripts from the command line they seem to run fine, but
when running via the webserver they seem to take ages, they output full
headers so they are called nph-whatever - but they seem to run very
slowly.

is there anything i can do to make them run with higher priority, (they
also call some executables e.g. traceroute - i think this is where the
problem is)

can i do something with nice to make them run faster?

or is there a different way to increase performance?

any help gladly received

cheers

Ian

2. AFS on RS6000

3. making linux running FASTER on PPCs

4. RH 4.1 modular kernel build mystery

5. Making kde 2.2.2 run faster

7. aix 3.2 - see sed run, run sed run

8. Parallel port zip drive

9. Faster is making me crasy

10. making ppp go faster.

11. Linux Super Page for IA32 makes Celeron two times faster

12. making stat/fstat faster

13. Making diff(1) of linux kernels faster