Printing from remote hosts under AIX 3.2

Printing from remote hosts under AIX 3.2

Post by Charles Clevela » Sat, 04 Jul 1992 02:36:33

It seems to me that this came up a couple of months ago but I didn't know
when I would have 3.2 running, so I didn't pay attention.  I'm now running
3.2.0.

Local printing on our RS/6000 works fine.  However if I try to print from
a remote host (even another RS/6000 running 3.2.0) nothing is printed and
I get back a mail message like this one:

> Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1992 13:20:18 -0400

> Message from qdaemon:
> =====> MESSAGE FROM PRINT JOB 27 (.profile) <=====
> 0782-006 -H flag not expected.
>         Check the flags.

What gives?

Charles Cleveland, School of Physics, Ga Tech, Atlanta, GA  30332-0430

Post by Brad Konop » Thu, 03 Sep 1992 11:59:59

>It seems to me that this came up a couple of months ago but I didn't know
>when I would have 3.2 running, so I didn't pay attention.  I'm now running
>3.2.0.

>Local printing on our RS/6000 works fine.  However if I try to print from
>a remote host (even another RS/6000 running 3.2.0) nothing is printed and
>I get back a mail message like this one:

>> Message from qdaemon:
>> =====> MESSAGE FROM PRINT JOB 27 (.profile) <=====
>> 0782-006 -H flag not expected.
>>         Check the flags.

>What gives?

I think this is the article you missed:

>Newsgroups: comp.unix.aix
>Subject: Remote Print Server

>Date: 8 Jul 92 20:35:00 GMT

>This might be a FAQ but I couldn't find it.  I seem to remember about some
>discussions on remote print servers under AIX 3.2 a few weeks ago.
>In particular about the error message from the AIX server :

>    0782-006 -H flag not expected.
>            Check the flags.

>Well, I didn't need the solution back then so I didn't save it, but I do
>need it now.  Can someone e-mail me the solution to this.  Thanks in advance!

From what I can tell, PTF U407164 for APAR ix29407 should fix this problem.

--

 ibmvnet: KONOPIK at AUSTIN               |  IBM AIX Porting Center, Austin

   uunet: ..!uunet!ibmsupt!ibmpa!konopik.austin.ibm.com!konopik

1. problems with remote printing under AIX 3.2 (and other remote access problems)

I just installed AIX 3.32 on my R6000/320 and though the install went
smoothly, the R6000 no longer allows remote (tcp/ip) access to the printer.  I
did a "complete overwrite install" and then went through and
configured the network and the remote printer access, and have
rebooted several times, stopped started lpd, etc., but I always get
the message: "your host does not have line printer access" back from
the R6000.  Printing works OK from the R6000, and interestingly, the
"on" command" works from the remote host and I can type "on ___ lpr "
and the R6000 does print then.  I tried both fully qualified and just
the hostname in the /etc/hosts.lpd file.  I am trying to print from a
Sun running 4.1.1 as well as other hosts that use BSD style printer
addressing.  Before the upgrade, remote printing worked fine.

Another strange (related?) feature is that when I type "rsh" from the
remote host I get "Login incorrect." whereas rsh used to work.  It
sounds to me like the network authentication has been messed with.
One last (related?)  problem is that I can't get the R6000 to act as a
pcnfs server (after taking the comment out of /etc/inetd.conf) whereas
it used to work as a pcnfs server before.

  Any ideas?

  Ron Cohen
  Geophysical Laboratory
  Carnegie Institution of Washington

2. Locked out of KDE.

3. AIX 3.2 remote printing woes ..

4. URGENT HELP!! regarding /usr/lib/security/pam_roles.so.1 writable by group error causing inablilty to BOOT.

5. remote (PostScript) printing to non-AIX hosts

6. Boot manager doesn't see win98 drive.

7. Can't ping SCO Unix 3.2 Host from remote locations

8. how can i access locked folders?

9. Printing under AIX from remote hosts (1 down/1 to go)

10. remote printing and tcp/ip access under 3.2

11. Remote printing on unix 3.2 r4.1

12. AIX 3.2 + named ignores hosts.equiv?

13. remote printing under 3.2