Reduce file system file

Post by Manoj Pati » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi !
someone here has increased /usr to 4 GB by mistake.
Any novel method to reduce /usr size would be helpful
(/usr unmounting is not possible and it has all the necessary commands
also !!! )
Regards

Reduce file system file

Post by jamm.. » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi !
> someone here has increased /usr to 4 GB by mistake.
> Any novel method to reduce /usr size would be helpful
> (/usr unmounting is not possible and it has all the necessary commands
> also !!! )
> Regards

read the message-thread "How to reduce /usr on aix 4.3.1", last msg
dates from 11-19-1999

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Reduce file system file

Post by Johan Van Mengse » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi !
> someone here has increased /usr to 4 GB by mistake.
> Any novel method to reduce /usr size would be helpful
> (/usr unmounting is not possible and it has all the necessary commands
> also !!! )
> Regards

One option is to reinstall your system from mksysb. If reinstallation is
not an
option you should check out http://www.compunix.com There is a commercial

option available for reducing filesystems without backup/restore,
additional disks
or tape manipulation.

regards,

Johan

Reduce file system file

Post by Pascal » Wed, 24 Nov 1999 04:00:00

You will have to make a mksysb of your system and reinstall it with the
option "Schrink filesystems = yes" (available after at after boot on the
mksysb tape)

good luck !
Pascal R
Belgium

> > Hi !
> > someone here has increased /usr to 4 GB by mistake.
> > Any novel method to reduce /usr size would be helpful
> > (/usr unmounting is not possible and it has all the necessary commands
> > also !!! )
> > Regards

> read the message-thread "How to reduce /usr on aix 4.3.1", last msg
> dates from 11-19-1999

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Enhanced Filing system - file system like DEC Advanced File system for Linux

    Some time ago I was involved in discussion on this news group regarding the
design of a new file system for Linux.  The main aim is to support dynamic size
changing by adding/removing partitions from the file system at run time without
interrupting processes that are using the file system.  Another major feature is
logging so that a system crash or power failure can be recovered from without
data loss or an excessive amount of time spent running FSCK.

  This project is now going ahead, if you are interested then please load up the
following URL: http://www.virtual.net.au/~rjc/enh-fs.html

Russell Coker

2. ldconfig missing

3. "Standard Journaled File System" vs "Large File Enabled Journaled File System"

4. Include files

5. reduce file system size in my AIX RS/6000

6. Setserial

7. how to reduce file-system cache size

8. few networking Questions,

9. reduce file system size in my AIX RS/6000

10. reduce /usr file system size

11. Reduce JFS file system

12. Reducing a Logical Volume and File System

13. Real file stats for file on a compressed file system