Help backing up files to remote tape drive

Help backing up files to remote tape drive

Post by Larr » Wed, 01 May 2002 22:40:38

I have two 7025-F50's running 5.1 on the same network. The tape drive
in one of the F50's isn't working correctly & will need to be replaced
but it will be awhile before I can replace it. I need to do a weekly
backup of a couple directories to tape but I am unable to do this on
the one F50 with the defective tape drive. Is there a way to do a
backup of the directories from defective F50 to the tape drive of the
funtioning system??

TIA
Larry

Help backing up files to remote tape drive

Post by A Tapi » Wed, 01 May 2002 22:51:20

NFS,
you can export the directories of the F50 with the defective tape drive,
import them to the other F50 and backup the directories to the tape drive
of this machine.

> I have two 7025-F50's running 5.1 on the same network. The tape drive
> in one of the F50's isn't working correctly & will need to be replaced
> but it will be awhile before I can replace it. I need to do a weekly
> backup of a couple directories to tape but I am unable to do this on
> the one F50 with the defective tape drive. Is there a way to do a
> backup of the directories from defective F50 to the tape drive of the
> funtioning system??

> TIA
> Larry

Help backing up files to remote tape drive

Post by Anthony Johnso » Thu, 02 May 2002 00:14:12

Take a look at Storix Backup Administrator for AIX, whcih does remote
backups and has a system installation interface far better than mksysb.
The free software doesn't do remote backups, but you can download the full
version for a 30-day trial at http://www.storix.com.

> I have two 7025-F50's running 5.1 on the same network. The tape drive
> in one of the F50's isn't working correctly & will need to be replaced
> but it will be awhile before I can replace it. I need to do a weekly
> backup of a couple directories to tape but I am unable to do this on
> the one F50 with the defective tape drive. Is there a way to do a
> backup of the directories from defective F50 to the tape drive of the
> funtioning system??

> TIA
> Larry

Help backing up files to remote tape drive

Hi Larry,

Look at www.sysback.services.ibm.com

and download the free 45-day trial.
You can set up a sb-server on one machine and a sb-client
on the other F50 which after configuring right, can then even
do a system backup WITH additional VG's to the other
machines tape drive.

Very easy product and menu driven via "SMIT sysback"!

Good Luck!
BigiBrada

--

Quote:> I have two 7025-F50's running 5.1 on the same network. The tape drive
> in one of the F50's isn't working correctly & will need to be replaced
> but it will be awhile before I can replace it. I need to do a weekly
> backup of a couple directories to tape but I am unable to do this on
> the one F50 with the defective tape drive. Is there a way to do a
> backup of the directories from defective F50 to the tape drive of the
> funtioning system??

> TIA
> Larry

Help backing up files to remote tape drive

Post by Hans-Joachim Ehler » Fri, 03 May 2002 05:31:44

Hi Larry,

Quote:> I have two 7025-F50's running 5.1 on the same network. The tape drive
> in one of the F50's isn't working correctly & will need to be replaced
> but it will be awhile before I can replace it. I need to do a weekly
> backup of a couple directories to tape but I am unable to do this on
> the one F50 with the defective tape drive. Is there a way to do a
> backup of the directories from defective F50 to the tape drive of the
> funtioning system??

man rsh , tar , pipe, dd

or take a look at: http://www.backupcentral.com/dd-conduit.html ( found via
google )