Aix 4.3.1 - tty problems after upgrade from Aix 4.1.5

Aix 4.3.1 - tty problems after upgrade from Aix 4.1.5

Post by mark addiso » Fri, 04 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have recently upgraded an RS/6000 to AIX 4.3.1 from Aix 4.1.5. The RS/6000
machine has 4 x DIGI concentrators (RAN's) connected to a 128 port
multiplexor card in the machine. This gives us 64 tty serial port
connections.

Only 36 of the tty's are populated, and connected to the tty's are standard
modems. On each of the ports we have substituted the standard AIX getty
process with our own getty process, which is a standard AIX shell script.
The script for our own getty works fine, as it did before the upgrade. But
when the script ends, with the "exit" command, the modem carrier would drop
on the tty, ending the remote session with the user. Since the upgrade, the
modem carrier does not drop, but our getty process respawns with a new
process id, and allows the user to log in again.

It is a pretty serious problem for the company, because it is costing our
less computer literate users, a large amount of money in telephone charges,
because they do not know how to terminate the modem call.

Has anybody ever encountered this problem? , Could anybody offer any
solutions ?

Thanks in advance.

Mark Addison
Technical Support.

1. Upgrading from AIX 4.3.2 to AIX 4.3.3

Hello,

I am new to AIX and have not done an upgrade before. We are currently
running AIX 4.3.2 and due to customer requirements have to roll to AIX
4.3.3.

I am looking for the best way to approach this transition. I have gone
through smitty and selected [software installation and maint] /
[install and update software] / [update installed software to latest
level (update all)] and done the installation however the workstation
would not reboot post installation. It just sat at the "starting
software - please wait screen".

Can anybody suggest the best way to go about this update or suggest
reasons why thw workstation would not reboot.

Thanks

Michael

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Slackware vs. RedHat (Summary)

3. Upgrading from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.1

4. Fetchmail fails "gethostbyname for hostname"

5. Upgrade AIX/ Install cdrom on 520h AIX 3.2.5

6. tclX7.4a-b3: sendmsg and struct msghdr missing

7. Upgrading AIX without booting on AIX CD

8. A Linux box has just crashed on me?

9. Upgrading AIX 3.xx to AIX 4.2

10. orig model 320 aix 325 to aix 4x upgrade

11. AIX Modem tty problem

12. TTY problem under AIX 4.2.1

13. tcsh-6.04 on AIX-4.1.4 problem: "Suspended (tty input)"