Can the Risc-6000 8mm tape drive read Exabyte tapes?

Can the Risc-6000 8mm tape drive read Exabyte tapes?

Post by Tim Fredri » Fri, 11 Jan 1991 00:55:16

This is another candidate for an FAQ posting; but can the internal 8mm tape
drive on a Risc-System 6000 read an Exabyte tape written from another
machine such as a Sun?  If so, what do I need to do to get it to work?  Or
do I have to buy a tape drive from Exabyte and try to attach it to our
POWERserver 530?  We are running AIX3.1 3003 by the way.  Thanks in advance.

--Tim

Tim Fredrick             National Center for Atmospheric Research
                         Atmospheric Chemistry Division

Post by Ronald S Wo » Fri, 11 Jan 1991 02:59:20

Tim> This is another candidate for an FAQ posting; but can the
Tim> internal 8mm tape drive on a Risc-System 6000 read an Exabyte
Tim> tape written from another machine such as a Sun?

Someone said a while back to go into SMIT and change the device
characteristics for the drive to use block length 0 (variable blocks)
to read tapes created on other systems that seem to use this variable
block length by default.

+ other email addresses             Prodigy: XTCR74A Compuserve: 73530,2537 +