restoring a single file in a savevg??

Post by jku.. » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I have a problem -- I am running AIX v4.3.2 and have been performing
savevg commands nightly.  Specifically, I have been issuing this command
from a root crontab entry:

0 3 * * * /usr/bin/savevg  -f'/dev/rmt0' '-v' '-i' '-X' dominovg1

I want to restore a single file from one of the tape backups created
with this command, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.  I have tried
typing in the exact path, just the filename, and made sure
capitalization is correct.  As far as I know there are no problems with
the tape and I am not getting any specific error messages other than
"Tape restore failed" after waiting 45 minutes for the entire tape to be
read in.  It is like it isn't finding my files.

If you have any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Surely it is not
necessary for me to restore the entire volume group just to get back one
file!??!

Thank you,

Justin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

restoring a single file in a savevg??

Post by Bob Swiercze » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I've been using savevg and restvg commands only for whole volume groups
archiving.I'd like also the restvg command to enable restoring single files
but I couldn't do it so far.

I use backup and restore (with -x option for single files) to maitain daily
backups.

bobbie

>I have a problem -- I am running AIX v4.3.2 and have been performing
>savevg commands nightly.  Specifically, I have been issuing this command
>from a root crontab entry:

>0 3 * * * /usr/bin/savevg  -f'/dev/rmt0' '-v' '-i' '-X' dominovg1

>I want to restore a single file from one of the tape backups created
>with this command, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.  I have tried
>typing in the exact path, just the filename, and made sure
>capitalization is correct.  As far as I know there are no problems with
>the tape and I am not getting any specific error messages other than
>"Tape restore failed" after waiting 45 minutes for the entire tape to be
>read in.  It is like it isn't finding my files.

>If you have any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Surely it is not
>necessary for me to restore the entire volume group just to get back one
>file!??!

>Thank you,

>Justin

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

restoring a single file in a savevg??

Post by BARMER Systemprogrammierun » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

probably you didn't use the relative path for the file you want to
recover, i.e.

restore -xvpf /dev/rmt0 ./home/jkuntz/filename

notice that you must not use symbolic links. ./u/jkuntz/filename
wouldn't work, for /u is symbolic.

> I have a problem -- I am running AIX v4.3.2 and have been performing
> savevg commands nightly.  Specifically, I have been issuing this command
> from a root crontab entry:

> 0 3 * * * /usr/bin/savevg  -f'/dev/rmt0' '-v' '-i' '-X' dominovg1

> I want to restore a single file from one of the tape backups created
> with this command, unfortunately it doesn't seem to work.  I have tried
> typing in the exact path, just the filename, and made sure
> capitalization is correct.  As far as I know there are no problems with
> the tape and I am not getting any specific error messages other than
> "Tape restore failed" after waiting 45 minutes for the entire tape to be
> read in.  It is like it isn't finding my files.

> If you have any advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.  Surely it is not
> necessary for me to restore the entire volume group just to get back one
> file!??!

> Thank you,

> Justin

restoring a single file in a savevg??

Post by Bob Swiercze » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Are you sure "restore" will restore files from tape created by savevg ???
I have a doubt :-)

bobbie

restoring a single file in a savevg??

Post by John Jaszcza » Thu, 29 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Check the manpages for savevg if you are a doubting "Bob".
The trick is the full pathname. Also you probably need to put a "." before
the path.
i.e. to restore /etc/motd
you would have to do
restore -f/dev/rmt0.1 ./etc/motd

It does work, it took me a couple hours to figure it out, but it does in
fact work.

-JAZZ

--
John Jaszczak
Romac International

612-321-4139

Quote:>Are you sure "restore" will restore files from tape created by savevg ???
>I have a doubt :-)

>bobbie

restoring a single file in a savevg??

Post by Norman Levi » Sat, 31 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Usually the filenames created are in relative path format.  That is, if you
want to restore "/etc/bozo"  You may have to enter "./etc/bozo".
NOTE: the leading '.'.  You can check this by listing the contents of the
tape.
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

1. restoring files from savevg

Hi does anybody know if it's possible to restore files individually from a
tape created using 'savevg'. The command is 'savevg -m -v -f /dev/rmt1
datavg' I need to restore some files from the tape and don't want to restore
the whole archive. If I use the 'restore -Tqf /dev/rmt1' command, the files
are there and the process informs me that the files were backed up by name.
However using 'restore -xvqdf/dev/rmt1 /files' I am told that no files were
restored. Help!

TIA

Ian

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Configuring Modem PLEASE HELP !

3. restoring files and directories from 'savevg' archive

4. How to best generate a check sum?

5. How to restore a volumegroup backuped with savevg when the disk went down...

6. Sun eqiv to HP D280/1 or R380/1

7. tape block size, savevg & restore

8. Strange SIGABRT in software scheduled by crontab

9. df display wrong value after restoring a savevg tape

10. Restore single file/directory from mksysb tape (aix 4.2.1)?

11. Restore single files from mksysb (AIX 3.2.5)

12. restore a single file

13. restore single file from exabyte within UFSrestore command