/tmp/rembak* files - what makes them?

Post by Alex Ko » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

We get lots of files in our /tmp directories that look like this:

-rw-r-----   1 dudadm   printq        75 Jan  4 11:30 rembakjT8hqa

Contents are similar to:

Hnldud63
Pdudadm
ldfA516nldud63
UdfA516nldud63
N/var/tmp/piorlfb_197474

It obviously has to do with printing. My question is: why do they exist? Why
are they not deleted? How can I encourage the AIX box not to leave them
around? To give an impression:

$ ls -1 /tmp/rembak* | wc -l
/bin/ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long
       0
63$ ls -1 /tmp | grep rembak | wc -l
    4830

Number varies, on some other systems it's zero.
It's been worse in the past, as can be seen from:

63$ ls -ld /tmp
drwxrwxrwt  17 bin      bin       740864 Jan  7 09:28 /tmp

All tips appreciated, TIA,

Alex.

/tmp/rembak* files - what makes them?

Post by <les.. » Sat, 08 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I think this could help... Greetigns...
        Leszek Leszczynski

APAR NUMBER: IX88690 RESOLVED AS: PROGRAM ERROR

ABSTRACT:
IX88690: TEMPORARY CONTROL FILES NOT CLEANED UP IN ERROR SITUATIONS

ORIGINATING DETAILS:
rembak may fail to clean up temporary control files in /tmp
in some circumstances. This can cause /tmp to fill up.

LOCAL FIX AS REPORTED BY ORIGINATOR:
.

RESPONDER SUMMARY:
rembak may fail to clean up temporary control files in /tmp
in some circumstances. This can cause /tmp to fill up.

RESPONDER CONCLUSION:
rembak is fixed so temporary control files are cleaned up from /tmp

.com...

Quote:> We get lots of files in our /tmp directories that look like this:

> -rw-r-----   1 dudadm   printq        75 Jan  4 11:30 rembakjT8hqa

> Contents are similar to:

> Hnldud63
> Pdudadm
> ldfA516nldud63
> UdfA516nldud63
> N/var/tmp/piorlfb_197474

> It obviously has to do with printing. My question is: why do they exist?
Why
> are they not deleted? How can I encourage the AIX box not to leave them
> around? To give an impression:

> $ ls -1 /tmp/rembak* | wc -l
> /bin/ksh: /usr/bin/ls: arg list too long
>        0
> 63$ ls -1 /tmp | grep rembak | wc -l
>     4830

> Number varies, on some other systems it's zero.
> It's been worse in the past, as can be seen from:

> 63$ ls -ld /tmp
> drwxrwxrwt  17 bin      bin       740864 Jan  7 09:28 /tmp

> All tips appreciated, TIA,

> Alex.

1. /tmp vs /usr/tmp vs /var/tmp

:Please help me understand temp directories.  I know what /tmp is for,
:and I know that /var/tmp is like /tmp only it is not normally cleared
:at boot-time.  But then what is /usr/tmp for?  or aren't /usr/tmp and
:/var/tmp usually used in the same implementation?

/usr/tmp and /var aren't normally in the same implementation.

--

 InterNIC WHOIS: MJO | (has my PGP & Geek Code info) | Phone: +1 248-848-4481

2. Does MountX works with LinuxPPC2K?

3. find /tmp -atime +1 | rm does not delete my old tmp files :-(

4. How to capture process ID?

5. making /tmp a ramdisk?

6. newbie installing gnu gcc

7. allow apache to copy files from /tmp to a file-directory under php4

8. Sendmail and host.domain.com instead of domain.com

9. File size of 'tmp' files for 'vi'

10. How to limit the use of /tmp and /var/tmp by arbitrary users

11. Why is there /tmp in addition to /var/tmp.

12. /tmp/kfm_503* and /tmp/kio_503*

13. Permissions on /tmp or /var/tmp?