y2k reboot required?

Post by Eric Kleinber » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

After installing the y2k apars for AIX 4.2.1, is  a reboot of the system
required? I don't see any mention on the rs6000 website...

y2k reboot required?

Post by Kevin R. Ge » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> After installing the y2k apars for AIX 4.2.1, is  a reboot of the
system
> required? I don't see any mention on the rs6000 website...

It almost certainly will require a reboot.  In general, any updated
fileset that starts with "bos.rte" will require a reboot.

--
Kevin R. Gee
MS Student, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

y2k reboot required?

Post by Paul Landa » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Probably, but it depends on what PTFs you may have already had on
your system.  If you have the smit.log, look for a message from the
installp which says 'reboot required' or look for the word 'bosboot'.

If you already had some/most of the 4.2.1.X PTFs then a reboot
would not be needed.  If you were at an old level (4.2.0.0) then
a reboot would be needed.  If you were somewhere in between
(4.2.1.0) then looking at the installp output for the messages
I mentioned above would tell you.

Post by Lawry Sim » Tue, 20 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> After installing the y2k apars for AIX 4.2.1, is  a reboot of the system
> required? I don't see any mention on the rs6000 website...

I thought the documentation that came with the patch said that you should.
Certainly I have done so on every system that I've patched, and would think
of it as 'best practice'.

Regards,
Lawry

y2k reboot required?

Post by Peter Bennet » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I think you probably only need to reboot if the install kicked off a
bosboot process to update the boot logical volume.
Just a suspicion.
If in doubt, boot it.
Pete Bennett

> > After installing the y2k apars for AIX 4.2.1, is  a reboot of the system
> > required? I don't see any mention on the rs6000 website...

> I thought the documentation that came with the patch said that you should.
> Certainly I have done so on every system that I've patched, and would think
> of it as 'best practice'.

> Regards,
> Lawry

y2k reboot required?

Post by Villy Kru » Wed, 21 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>I think you probably only need to reboot if the install kicked off a
>bosboot process to update the boot logical volume.
>Just a suspicion.
>If in doubt, boot it.

If you update some daemons and don't restart them, then you'll continue
running the unpatched version.  What is the easiest way to make sure all
daemons are restarted?

Villy

1. constant reboot since y2k

Hi, I've send the following Email to tyan tech support :

"we have a computer with a S1830S mainboard.
It ran without problems with BIOS v1.16 and RedHat Linux 5.3 for over a
year.

Since Y2K we got daily reboots, one or two per night. It did never reboot
during operation times.

We updated the BIOS to the latest v2.00.00 and installed SuSE Linux 6.2
with a 2.2.10 kernel but the reboots still remain.

So we booted with just a Win98 boot disk. It still rebooted at night.

The computer is equipped with a PII 450 Intel, a ATI 3D Charger PCI
grafic board, a 3 COM Etherlink 3C905 TX, a Matrox Meteor PCI Frame
Grabber and a Adaptec AVA-1505 SCSI Host Adapter.

Can you help us ?"

Is this problem known in this group ? Is there a software to put
a linux box under constant load to test the hardware ?

Henrik

--
Henrik Schmidt                  Christian-Albrechts-Universitaet zu Kiel
Institut fuer Informatik        +49 (431) 5604 -  81 Fax or 75 Phone

2. BogoMips .... and the Cyrix 6x86MX PR200

3. how to know if reboot is required

4. X freezes up under Trio64

5. : Netscape hangs - Reboot required

6. String to Numeric conversion help?

7. reboot error reboot error reboot error

8. PPP Server problem

9. Require reboot after modifying /etc/netmasks file??

10. Help needed on cmds that require reboot.

11. Log - Linux requires first ReBoot since power failure.

12. User password required to reboot

13. Automatic reboot of idle PC required