Which RS/60000?

Post by Thorsten Je » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
we have an RS/6000 server running AIX at our university. Curious as I
am, I tried to find out what that thing looks like on the IBM website,
but found that there are a couple of (very different) computers called
RS/6000. Is there any way I can tell what kind of box that thing is? I
have a shell account on it, so ask me what you need to know and I#LL
try to find out.

Thanks,
Thorsten

PS: No, I am not trying to hack/crack that computer, I am just curious
about what it looks like because it's locked up somewhere.

Which RS/60000?

Post by Joe Moo » Tue, 26 Sep 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,
>we have an RS/6000 server running AIX at our university. Curious as I
>am, I tried to find out what that thing looks like on the IBM website,
>but found that there are a couple of (very different) computers called
>RS/6000. Is there any way I can tell what kind of box that thing is? I
>have a shell account on it, so ask me what you need to know and I#LL
>try to find out.

"lsattr -El sys0 -a modelname" should give you a code that you can look
up.  Mine reports
modelname IBM,7043-150 Machine name False
which matches up with what the label says.

--Joe
--
N recursive algorithms on the wall,
N recursive algorithms,

Which RS/60000?

Post by sol gongol » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:01:29

There are commands that can help you figure out what model
machine you have but they don't always give the exact answer.
The best way is to get the model number written on the system box.

I suggest you call your system administrator and ask nicely. :)

sol gongola

Quote:

> Hi,
> we have an RS/6000 server running AIX at our university. Curious as I
> am, I tried to find out what that thing looks like on the IBM website,
> but found that there are a couple of (very different) computers called
> RS/6000. Is there any way I can tell what kind of box that thing is? I
> have a shell account on it, so ask me what you need to know and I#LL
> try to find out.

> Thanks,
> Thorsten

> PS: No, I am not trying to hack/crack that computer, I am just curious
> about what it looks like because it's locked up somewhere.

Which RS/60000?

Post by Netgur » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 13:11:21

Quote:> Hi,
> we have an RS/6000 server running AIX at our >university. Curious as I...

You would be amazed at what some of us old guru's
sitting in the riscbox room will tell you students if you would ask.

goto to the sysop and strike up a conversation.

BTW ... sysop probably likes pizza

Which RS/60000?

Post by Tomasz B » Wed, 27 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Hi Thorsten,
There is a command "uname", which may give you the information you seek.
What kind of flags to use? Well, you better look at the documentation of
"uname" and choose the best !
Good luck

Tomasz

Quote:> Hi,
> we have an RS/6000 server running AIX at our university. Curious as I
> am, I tried to find out what that thing looks like on the IBM website,
> but found that there are a couple of (very different) computers called
> RS/6000. Is there any way I can tell what kind of box that thing is? I
> have a shell account on it, so ask me what you need to know and I#LL
> try to find out.

> Thanks,
> Thorsten

> PS: No, I am not trying to hack/crack that computer, I am just curious
> about what it looks like because it's locked up somewhere.

Which RS/60000?

Post by Thorsten Je » Thu, 28 Sep 2000 07:12:13

* Joe Moore :

> >Hi,
> >we have an RS/6000 server running AIX at our university. Curious as I
> >[...]
> >RS/6000. Is there any way I can tell what kind of box that thing is? I

> "lsattr -El sys0 -a modelname" should give you a code that you can look
> up.  Mine reports
> modelname IBM,7043-150 Machine name False

Thanks, it seems to be an 7025-F50.

Thorsten

Which RS/60000?

Post by Thorsten Je » Thu, 28 Sep 2000 07:42:48

* Netguru :

> > Hi,
> > we have an RS/6000 server running AIX at our >university. Curious as I...

> You would be amazed at what some of us old guru's
> sitting in the riscbox room will tell you students if you would ask.

Nah, way too easy ;-)
Maybe I'll talk to her later, though. She's got enough to do with
totally clueless new students at the moment.

Thorsten

Which RS/60000?

Post by Thorsten Je » Thu, 28 Sep 2000 07:07:38

* sol gongola :

Quote:> There are commands that can help you figure out what model
> machine you have but they don't always give the exact answer.
> The best way is to get the model number written on the system box.

> I suggest you call your system administrator and ask nicely. :)

Well, actually I wanted to do some exploring myself, our SysOp is
pretty busy at the moment. I already figured out a lot of stuff about
that machine, after I found out I could run "smitty".

Thorsten

Which RS/60000?

Post by Kevin Bran » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

I installed all of 43304ML as well and my oslevel returns 4.3.2.0 ( yes
that's a 2 ).  Go figure that.

The appropriate instfix command indicates I have everything put a few Java
filesets, which I don't want ( I'm at 1.1.6, 43304ML expects 1.1.8 ).

I do have an old 4.3.2.0 perfstat filestat that is required for an Oracle
product ( OWAS ), and I suspect that it is why oslevel shows the bad level.

-Kevin

Quote:> Hi,
> we have an RS/6000 server running AIX at our university. Curious as I
> am, I tried to find out what that thing looks like on the IBM website,
> but found that there are a couple of (very different) computers called
> RS/6000. Is there any way I can tell what kind of box that thing is? I
> have a shell account on it, so ask me what you need to know and I#LL
> try to find out.

> Thanks,
> Thorsten

> PS: No, I am not trying to hack/crack that computer, I am just curious
> about what it looks like because it's locked up somewhere.

Which RS/60000?

Post by Kevin Bran » Fri, 29 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Sorry, wrong thread.  I need a new news reader

> I installed all of 43304ML as well and my oslevel returns 4.3.2.0 ( yes
> that's a 2 ).  Go figure that.

> The appropriate instfix command indicates I have everything put a few Java
> filesets, which I don't want ( I'm at 1.1.6, 43304ML expects 1.1.8 ).

> I do have an old 4.3.2.0 perfstat filestat that is required for an Oracle
> product ( OWAS ), and I suspect that it is why oslevel shows the bad
level.

> -Kevin

> > Hi,
> > we have an RS/6000 server running AIX at our university. Curious as I
> > am, I tried to find out what that thing looks like on the IBM website,
> > but found that there are a couple of (very different) computers called
> > RS/6000. Is there any way I can tell what kind of box that thing is? I
> > have a shell account on it, so ask me what you need to know and I#LL
> > try to find out.

> > Thanks,
> > Thorsten

> > PS: No, I am not trying to hack/crack that computer, I am just curious
> > about what it looks like because it's locked up somewhere.

1. rs/60000,graphics

I have been trying to draw some lines to represent values in a vector
on my rs/6000, 320, grayscale.  I found the gl routines but they seem to
need the SG board.  I tried the XGSL routines but got an error
message:

xlf -lxgsl -lX11 -lXext window1.f
** main   === End of Compilation 1 ===
1501-510  Compilation successful for file window1.f.
0706-317 ERROR: Unresolved or undefined symbols detected:
                 Symbols in error (followed by references) are
                 dumped to the load map.
.gsmult
.gsinit

The program window1.f is below

      integer buf(128),x(2),y(2)
      external gsinit,gsmult
      call gsinit(buf,0,-1,0,0,-1)
      x(1)=0
      y(1)=0
      x(2)=1
      y(2)=1
      idr=gsmult(2,x,y)
      stop
      end
All I want to do is draw lines, it cant be that hard.
 I tried my SE on Friday, Monday, tuesday and
wednesday with no response except "Yes, I'll check on that"

I would appreciate any help (especially the correct set of routines to use)
Thanks
Roger Ratcliff

2. Asus A7M266 and USB

3. Ethertalk for RS/60000

4. @home to Comcast DHCP change

5. gcc/g++ 1.40 for RS/60000? how to port?

6. Adding swap space using 'swap -a' command ?

7. Help. ICMP redirect storms from hitting socket 60000. Ideas.

8. touchpad erratic on Compaq Presario 1230

9. UID > 60,000

10. Re. SPARC to RS/6k Re. SPARC to RS-6000

11. Sorry!! RS/6000 instead RS/2000 ;-)

12. set RS-423 to RS-232