SupEur 92 Conference Announcement

Post by Per O. Li » Wed, 12 Aug 1992 21:34:17

                     ========================
                     SUPERCOMPUTING IN EUROPE
                     ========================

                  INVITATION AND FINAL PROGRAM FOR

                    ==========================
                         SUPEUR 92, Umea
                      September 13-16, 1992
                    =========================

LOCATION AND DATE OF MEETING

The sixth  annual meeting of SupEur  will be held in  Umea, Sweden during
September 13-16,  1992. The meeting will  be hosted by the  University of
Umea and the Supercomputer Center  North (SDCN). The conference will take
place at Aula Nordica located on the university campus.

THE SUPEUR ORGANIZATION

The  SupEur  organization is  an  association  of European  academic  and
research  institutions which  are  actively engaged  in  large scale  and
numerically intensive  computing on  IBM systems.  The main  objective of
SupEur is  to provide an  open forum  for the European  supercomputer and
high performance computing user  community to exchange ideas, experiences
and solution to problems. SupEur  organizes an annual conference covering
these and related topics. In order  to establish as wide an international
community of  academic supercomputer  users as  possible, SupEur  and its
counterpart SUPER! in the USA work together in areas of mutual interest.

WHO SHOULD ATTEND THE MEETING

The  SupEur  92  meeting  welcomes  users and  potential  users  of  high
performance  computers and  representatives of  computer centres  serving
researchers  in  academia  and  industry.  The  meeting  is  particularly
intended to address  problems and needs of high  performance computing on
IBM machines.  It is aimed primarily  at users and those  supporting them
on supercomputers and  other high performance computers  by the provision
of training, code, advice, libraries and so on.

MAIN TOPICS OF THE MEETING

SupEur 92 will concentrate mainly on the following topics:

   o High Performance Computing (HPC): The Future
   o Algorithm Design and High Performance Computing Libraries
   o Tools, Environments, and Languages
   o Clustered Workstations and Cooperative Processing
   o Scientific Visualization

SOFTWARE EXHIBITION

Vendors are  invited to  contact the  organizers. Workstations  and video
facilities will be available for demonstrations.

PROGRAM

---------------------------
SUNDAY, September 13
---------------------------

17.00   REGISTRATION at Universum,
        University of Umea

19.00   WELCOME RECEPTION, Universum
        Host: Dan Brandstrom, Chairman of SDCN

---------------------------
MONDAY, September 14
---------------------------

08.00   REGISTRATION at Universum, Aula Nordica

        SESSION 1 - Aula Nordica
        Chair: Bo Kagstrom

09.00   WELCOME AND OPENING
        Lars Beckman, Rector, University of Umea, Sweden
        Bjarne Kirsebom, Undersecretary of State for Education and
           Science, Sweden
        Lars Stanghed, Director Industrial Sector, IBM Sweden

09.30   The Future of High Performance Computing in Europe
        Friedel Hossfeld, ZAM, Research Center Julich (KFA), Germany

10.15   COFFEE

        SESSION 2 - Aula Nordica
        Chair: John Gordon

10.45   Heterogeneous Computing
        Jack Dongarra, Univ. of Knoxville and Oak Ridge
        National Lab., TN, USA

11.30   AIX/ESA Status and Plans
        Janet Early, IBM AIX High End System Manager, IBM Kingston, NY, USA

12.15   LUNCH

        SESSION 3 - Aula Nordica
        Chair: Mirella Schaerf

13.30   IBM RISC/6000 Cluster Solutions
        Renzo Di Antonio, European Center for Scientific and Engineering
           Computing, IBM, Rome, Italy

14.15   Parallel Applications on IBM RISC/6000 Clusters
        Stefano Scarci, European Center for Scientific and Engineering
           Computing, IBM, Rome, Italy

15.00   COFFEE

        PARALLEL SESSIONS:
        SESSION 4.1 - Aula Nordica
        Chair: Michele Batlle

15.30   Parallel Programming Tools for the 90`s
        John Levesque, Applied Parallel Research, California, USA

16.15   A portable FORTRAN 90 implementation
        Malcolm Cohen, Numerical Algorithms Group, Oxford, UK

        SESSION 4.2 - MoDo Sal 1
        Chair: Rogelio Montanana

15.30   AIX/ESA Experiences at CERN
        Tony Cass, CERN, Geneva, Switzerland

16.15   User Experiences with Clustered Workstations
        Francesca Verdier, Cornell National Supercomputer Facility,
           Ithaca, NY, USA

17.00   SupEur Organization Meeting
        Chair: Bo Kagstrom

18.00   FILM SHOW AND DEMONSTRATIONS
        Videos of Visualization Work and Exhibitors Demonstrations
        Chair: Torbjorn Johansson

20.00   RECEPTION with Live Music at Universum
        Ad Emmen on Lute.
        Jokerman - Music from the 60s to the 90s.
        Participants are invited to bring their instruments.
        We welcome all kind of music!
        (e.g. classical-folklore-pop).

---------------------------
TUESDAY, September 15
---------------------------

        SESSION 5 - Aula Nordica
        Chair: Ad Emmen

09.00   LAPACK: Algorithms + Software = Performance +
           Portability
        Jeremy Du Croz, Numerical Algorithms Group, Oxford,
        UK

09.45   DCE - OSF`s Distributed Computing Environment
        Alain Fastre, Director, European Operations, Open Systems
           Foundation, Belgium

10.30   COFFEE

        SESSION 6.- Aula Nordica
        Chairman: Robert Feldman

11.00   Block Matrix Computations: Algorithm Design for High Performance
           and Parallelism - An Overview
        Charles Van Loan, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA

11.45   The Parascope Parallel Programming Environment
        Keith Cooper, Center for Research on Parallel Computation,
           Rice University, TX, USA

12.30   LUNCH

        SESSION 7 - Aula Nordica
        Chairman: Harry Clasper

14.00   The IBM Power Visualization System (PVS)
        Greg Abraham, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, NY, USA

14.30   PVS Experiences at Cornell Theory Center
        Bruce Land, Cornell National Supercomputer Facility, Ithaca, NY, USA

15.15   COFFEE

        PARALLEL SESSIONS:
        SESSION 8.1 - Aula Nordica
        Chairman: Peter Malzacher

15.45   An Environment for Scientific Visualization using Co-operative
           Processing for Animation
        Paolo Santangelo, European Center for Scientific and Engineering
           Computing, IBM, Rome, Italy

16.30   Applicability and Usability of Visualization Systems
        Martin Goebel, Frauenhofer-Institut fur Graphische
        Datenverarbeitung (FhG-IGD), Darmstadt, Germany

17.15   Environmental Modelling on the IBM RISC/6000
        Trond Aukrust, Bergen Environmental Sciences and Solutions
        Centre, Bergen, Norway

        SESSION 8.2 - MoDo Sal 1
        Chair: Anne-Marie De Meyer

15.45   Scalable High Performance Libraries in Linear
           Algebra
        Jack Dongarra, Univ. of Knoxville and Oak Ridge
        National Lab., TN, USA

16.30   Algorithm Design and High Performance Computing on
           the IBM RS/6000
        Giuseppe Radicati, European Center for Scientific and Engineering
           Computing, IBM, Rome, Italy

17.15   On Portability and Scalability of Parallel Block Algorithms for
           Distributed and Shared Memory MIMD Machines
        Krister Dackland, Erik Elmroth and Bo Kagstrom, University of
           Umea, Sweden

18.00   ADJOURN

20.00   CONFERENCE DINNER
        at Restaurant Savargarden,
        Gammlia Open Air Museum

---------------------------
WEDNESDAY, September 16
---------------------------

        SESSION 9 - Aula Nordica
        Chair: Cherri Pancake

09.00   Application Trends for Emerging Parallel Architectures
        David Barkai, Director Applications Development, Supercomputer
           Systems Inc.(SSI) Corporation, WI, USA

09.45   HPC Future - IBM and Massive Parallelism
        Robert Greenberg, Director of Highly Parallel Supercomputing
           Lab., IBM Kingston, NY, USA

10.30   COFFEE

        SESSION 10 - Aula Nordica
        Chair: Peter Rastl

11.00   IBM Plans and Directions in High Performance and Large Scale Computing
        Irving Wladawsky-Berger, IBM Assistant General Manager,
           Supercomputing Systems, Somers, USA

11.45   IBM Open Forum
        Panel discussion with IBM speakers and representatives

13.00   NEXT MEETING and CLOSING

PARTICIPATION AND REGISTRATION

The conference fee is 1100 SEK,  1500 SEK after August 15. Conference Fee
includes  admission to  all conference  sessions, coffee,  luncheons, two
social  events and  conference dinner.  Accompanying persons  are invited
to join the social events and the conference dinner (700 SEK).

Fill out the attached registration form and return to:
SUPEUR 92, Att. Torbjorn Johansson, SDCN, University of Umea,
S-901 87 Umea, Sweden.

Enclose a check in SEK or US Dollar payable to:

SupEur 92, SDCN/University of Umea.

ACCOMMODATION AND TRAVEL

Hotel  rooms are  preliminary  booked. There  are  two alternatives,  one
hotel, close to the airport, sited  about 8 km from the university Campus
(free bus  services via the hotel),  and three hotels sited  down-town in
Umea  (about 2-3  km  from  the Campus).  Good  local  bus services  from
downtown (or enjoy a 20 minutes walk).

There are regular flights from Stockholm  to Umea almost every 90 minutes
(served  by Linjeflyg).  A  bus  service from  Umea  airport to  downtown
continuing to the university Campus is available with all flights.

Costs for travel and accommodation are paid by the participants. Detailed
information will be enclosed with the confirmation of your registration.

FOR MORE INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT

Torbjorn Johansson
SDCN
University of Umea
S-901 87 Umea, Sweden
Phone: +46 90 166585, Fax: +46 90 158405
e-mail: supeu...@cs.umu.se

Bo Kagstrom
Inst. of Information Processing
University of Umea
S-901 87 Umea, Sweden
Phone: +46 90 165419
e-mail: b...@cs.umu.se

read more »

Post by Chul-hee Ch » Fri, 14 Aug 1992 21:05:50

Quote:>                     ========================
>                     SUPERCOMPUTING IN EUROPE

>                  INVITATION AND FINAL PROGRAM FOR

>                         SUPEUR 92, Umea
>                      September 13-16, 1992

Hi !  I am a novice to this newsgroup.
I like to know if there's plan for comparable session to be held
in the U.S.  - by SUPER! (?) .