NIS yppasswd problem

Post by s.. » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

 I can not change password using both passwd and yppasswd command. The error
is as follows:

Changing NIS password for testusr
Old NIS password:
3004-604 Your entry does not match the old password.
yppasswd: 1831-155 could not change passwd

 This is strange, acccording to IBM docs yppasswd should first ask for both
old and new password, then send both to server - so I should be getting error
only after typing in new passwd. Besides I know I'm typing it in correctly.
What gives?  Any clues are greatly apreciated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

NIS yppasswd problem

Post by Stefan Schnitte » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

:  I can not change password using both passwd and yppasswd command. The error
: is as follows:

: Changing NIS password for testusr
: Old NIS password:
: 3004-604 Your entry does not match the old password.
: yppasswd: 1831-155 could not change passwd

:  This is strange, acccording to IBM docs yppasswd should first ask for both
: old and new password, then send both to server - so I should be getting error
: only after typing in new passwd. Besides I know I'm typing it in correctly.
: What gives?  Any clues are greatly apreciated.

I guess you are using 4.3.3 ? This is a known bug (tm) and IBM has an e-fix
for this (which consits of a new libc.a). Ask IBM for PMR 02458 or I can
send you the e-fix (which works for us)
To my knowledge this problem has not been fixed in the latest maintainace
level (4.3.3-02)

bye, Stefan.

Institut f. Mathematik, TU Clausthal,Erzstr.1,38678 Clausthal, Germany
          Tel: ++49 5323 722408, Fax: ++49 5323 722304.

NIS yppasswd problem

Post by Bill Pembert » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

>I guess you are using 4.3.3 ? This is a known bug (tm) and IBM has an e-fix
>for this (which consits of a new libc.a). Ask IBM for PMR 02458 or I can
>send you the e-fix (which works for us)
>To my knowledge this problem has not been fixed in the latest maintainace
>level (4.3.3-02)

You are correct, it's still broken in 4.3.3-02.  The APAR number that
I've told is IY06887, which still is not available....

--
Bill

NIS yppasswd problem

Post by GC » Sat, 11 Mar 2000 04:00:00

If you have AIX 4.3.3 the libc.a is the problem.  I had to download the
'e-fix' of libc.a and mount it over the existing.

> I can not change password using both passwd and yppasswd command. The
error
> is as follows:

> Changing NIS password for testusr
> Old NIS password:
> 3004-604 Your entry does not match the old password.
> yppasswd: 1831-155 could not change passwd

>  This is strange, acccording to IBM docs yppasswd should first ask for
both
> old and new password, then send both to server - so I should be getting
error
> only after typing in new passwd. Besides I know I'm typing it in
correctly.
> What gives?  Any clues are greatly apreciated.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. NIS yppasswd problem

Searching to avoid posting a dup question, I ran into this article. While it
describes my problem exactly and in detail; typically there were no other
posts in the google cached thread, which leaves me with no better of an
answer.

Anyone have any clues?  My setup is different than his, I'm running Gentoo
1.4rc2, and I emerged ypserv/ypbind, and followed the Linux NIS HOWTO.

However, he post describes the same error I am having.  I'm guessing I
goofed something up, but I can't figure out what it could be.

Thanks for any help!  If config files would help, I can post them.
nathan

Hi there - I recently installed NIS on my main server, and set it up
as a master server.  I then installed NIS on a secondary machine and
set it up as a slave.  Both machines are running Caldera OpenLinux
3.1.1, and I downloaded the YP distributions from kernel.org - I
didnt' like the built-in NIS support in Caldera.  Anyway, I am having
a very bizarre problem.  All of the NIS server and client  processes
are up and running fine on both machines, except for one problem -
only root seems to be able to resolve the passwd maps through yp.  No
regular user has access to them and as a consequence no one can change
their password via yppasswd - from either machine.  Here's the
printout from ypwhich (stefan is an unpriveleged user) on taurus, the
master server:

yppasswd: can't find the master ypserver: Internal NIS error

netgroup.byuser taurus.funfunfun.com
netgroup.byhost taurus.funfunfun.com
netgroup taurus.funfunfun.com
group.bygid taurus.funfunfun.com
group.byname taurus.funfunfun.com
Can't find master for map passwd.byname. Reason: Internal NIS error
ypservers taurus.funfunfun.com
Can't find master for map passwd.byuid. Reason: Internal NIS error

Password:

netgroup.byuser taurus.funfunfun.com
netgroup.byhost taurus.funfunfun.com
netgroup taurus.funfunfun.com
group.bygid taurus.funfunfun.com
group.byname taurus.funfunfun.com
passwd.byname taurus.funfunfun.com
ypservers taurus.funfunfun.com
passwd.byuid taurus.funfunfun.com

Unknown error
yppasswd: unknown user (uid=0).

Can anyone tell me why this isn't working?
Stefan

2. upgrade to 4.5 failed

3. Cable Descramblers - All Channels

4. sz/rz got CRC errors under Slackware 3.0 w kernel 1.2.13 under

5. NIS - YPPasswd problems

6. 2.5.32-mm2

7. NIS+, NIS and yppasswd

8. problems with NIS/NYS ypserv and yppasswd

9. NIS and yppasswd problems

10. 2 Problems with NIS and yppasswd

11. NIS Problem with yppasswd