Upgrading from AIX 4.2.0 to 4.2.1

Post by Jason Hor » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I am preparing to upgrade AIX from 4.2.0 to 4.2.1.  I have the upgrade
CD and the fixes for 4.2.1.  I was speaking with Aix support yesterday
on an LVM issue and just happened to mention that I would be doing an
upgrade.  The tech said they would recommend breaking all mirrors and
then doing the upgrade because there are known issues with mirroring and
migrating from 4.2.0 to 4.2.1.

My questions are:

1. Is there a place (web, mailing list, whatever) that I should check
for any issues before doing anything.  It seems like evertyime I go to
make a change on the box, different techs with IBM know of different
issues.  I'm getting sort of gun shy here.

2. Anyone experienced the above problem?  Would I be better off taking
my chances and just backing up several times before the upgrade?
Breaking the mirrors on all 14 drives seems to be to much hassle to me.

Thanks,

-j

Upgrading from AIX 4.2.0 to 4.2.1

Post by Richard Payn » Sat, 24 Oct 1998 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:

>1. Is there a place (web, mailing list, whatever) that I should check
>for any issues before doing anything.  It seems like evertyime I go to
>make a change on the box, different techs with IBM know of different
>issues.  I'm getting sort of gun shy here.

>2. Anyone experienced the above problem?  Would I be better off taking
>my chances and just backing up several times before the upgrade?
>Breaking the mirrors on all 14 drives seems to be to much hassle to me.

I can't speak to the upgrade of 4.2.0 to 4.2.1, but I can tell you that if
they
told you to break the mirrors it's for a good reason. I had a 4.2.1 machine
without the PTFs and with mirroring, not a good thing. It would just
randomly
lock up w/o warning, usually on login.

Quote:

--
Rich Payne
(Speaking for myself, not my employer)

Looking for Alpha-Linux info?
http://adam.cheshire.net/~rdp/alpha

1. Upgrading from AIX 4.3.2 to AIX 4.3.3

Hello,

I am new to AIX and have not done an upgrade before. We are currently
running AIX 4.3.2 and due to customer requirements have to roll to AIX
4.3.3.

I am looking for the best way to approach this transition. I have gone
through smitty and selected [software installation and maint] /
[install and update software] / [update installed software to latest
level (update all)] and done the installation however the workstation
would not reboot post installation. It just sat at the "starting
software - please wait screen".

Can anybody suggest the best way to go about this update or suggest
reasons why thw workstation would not reboot.

Thanks

Michael

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

2. Linux on old Powerbook 165

3. Upgrading from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.1

4. Login security

5. Aix 4.3.1 - tty problems after upgrade from Aix 4.1.5

6. Finding dups (speed issue)

7. Upgrading From AIX 4.1.4 to 4.2.1

8. FileNotFound Exception

9. Can anyone help... problem i upgrade fron AIX 4.2 to 4.3

10. Problem about iostat after upgrade from AIX 4.3.2 to 4.3.3

11. Things have gone slow since upgrading to AIX 4.3.3.

12. Upgrade of AIX on RS6000 Powerstation model 370 with no CDROM

13. Upgrade to AIX 4.3.1