Is a career in AIX Unix a good career move?

Is a career in AIX Unix a good career move?

Post by ROBERT HARLA » Fri, 01 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Scott,

A few things to consider:

1.  What kind of salary are they offering?  If it is the same as you present
salary (and I hope
     that it isn't) then:

2.  Where do you want to be in say 10 years?

3.  Define on-call.  If you don't have to wear a pager or carry a cell phone
then you're not on call.

4.  What is your promotion path?

5.  What kind of application will run on the AIX system.  Who is responsible
for the software &
      database?

6.  Are you changing supervisors?  Do you "like" the new supervisor?  Sometimes
it is better
      not to make a move if you know that the new supervisor will be difficult
to work with.

7.  How old are you and how long have you been in your present position?  Some
younger
     people have a hard time working in an autonomous environment.

8.  The training that they want you to take is great.  This is an excellent
opportunity to develop
      new, and very marketable skills.  But, you need to consider that you will
have to travel quite
      a bit to take the necessary classes.  Can you do that?

9.  I'd ask to sit with the decision makers and look over all the paperwork
related to the purchase/
      lease agreement.  Find out where this system fits in to the total IS
scheme and how dedicated
      they are to keeping up with the technology.

If all of this seems to point in a positive direction, then I would say that
this is a good move for you.
Welcome to the world of AIX/UNIX Administration.

Cheers,

Bob Harlan
Senior Technical Support Analyst
Goodyear Tire and *

1. Is a career in AIX Unix a good career move?

I have an opportunity to accept a position as an AIX administrator.  This is
a new position that is created within my company and to me seems like a
great career move.  However, I would be the only one knowing what was going
on.  It would be my responsibility to learn AIX Unix through various books,
seminars, classes, etc.  The company even wants this employee to take the
certification exams and is willing to pay for them.  The bad thing is since
I am the only one that would know the information, I would be on call 24-7
365 days a year until the need arose for someone else to be hired and share
the responsibilities.  I guess this is a good career opportunity because if
any more people were hired for this area, I would be the lead person which
is a very important goal in my career.  Currently, I am on a team that does
desktop support and am happy with my position, however, there doesn't seem
to be any room for advancement in this area.  Does anyone have some helpful
advice?

2. Problems with ARP on 2.2.X

3. Please help with career advice -- is UNIX a good choice?

4. remote copy of files : rcp on Solaris 2.5

5. Career move?

6. Uncoupling "ti" from RPC?

7. Any conversion/training courses in US to move into an IT-related career ??

8. How to disable password for a account in Solaris 2.3?

9. VMS as a career move ( was Re: HP admits it will kill VMS if merger suceeds)

10. Any conversion/training courses in US to move into an IT-related career ??

11. Linux good for your career?

12. Flatfish's career as an AIX admin: the story of a wanker.

13. Career: Going from Windows into Unix