question about ps (AIX 1.1 PS/2)

Post by Pete Grego » Fri, 23 Mar 1990 06:24:47

Hi -

Sometimes, when I do a ps -el (that's /bin/ps), I get the following
two errors (and no ps output):

        swapread: dbd not of type DBD_SWAP
        getupages: Can't read upage from swap for proc nnnn

Any ideas?  The process number nnnn is a normal user process that is
there all the time, and not something that is just starting or exiting.

Thanks for your help......

Pete Gregory   : uucp:   uunet!bally!pete            |

Bally Systems  : phone:  702-323-6156 x882           |         John 3:16
255 Bell St.   : FAX:    702-323-5997                |     (think about it!)
Reno, NV 89503                                       |

question about ps (AIX 1.1 PS/2)

Post by Francis Demier » Sun, 25 Mar 1990 08:01:53

>Hi -

>Sometimes, when I do a ps -el (that's /bin/ps), I get the following
>two errors (and no ps output):

>    swapread: dbd not of type DBD_SWAP
>    getupages: Can't read upage from swap for proc nnnn

>Any ideas?  The process number nnnn is a normal user process that is
>there all the time, and not something that is just starting or exiting.

>Thanks for your help......

>Pete Gregory   : uucp:   uunet!bally!pete            |

>Bally Systems  : phone:  702-323-6156 x882           |         John 3:16
>255 Bell St.   : FAX:    702-323-5997                |     (think about it!)
>Reno, NV 89503                                       |

I have the same problem with an application I wrote that forks some
process to test the printer (The forked process write to the printer and
wait the write to come back to know if the printer works or not. More
complicated than that but not relevant to the problem).

The thing is that while 'write()'ing, the same message comes up. The process
ID is random, sometime a normal user process, often the process ID of
pciconsrv.ip (DOS Access server), etc....

The messages are described neither in the "Messages" manual nor anywhere
else.

By the way, I'm running AIX 1.1 with update MMPP1402 installed.

If anybody knows about, I would be pleased to know about it too !

Thanks in advance, Francis.

Francis Demierre       UUCP: ...!mcsun!chx400!hslrswi!francis

Francis Demierre       UUCP: ...!mcsun!chx400!hslrswi!francis

-------- Ha Ha Ha Ha Amiga !  Only Amiga can make computing so funny ! --------

question about ps (AIX 1.1 PS/2)

Post by Jack F. Vog » Mon, 26 Mar 1990 02:36:29

>Sometimes, when I do a ps -el (that's /bin/ps), I get the following
>two errors (and no ps output):

>    swapread: dbd not of type DBD_SWAP
>    getupages: Can't read upage from swap for proc nnnn

>Any ideas?

What is happening here is nothing peculiar to AIX, it can happen on other
Unix variants as well as far as I know. It is likely to occur most often
under heavy system activity. I believe the scenario goes something like
this.... You fire up the ps command, it reads the process table and finds
that the user structure that it wants to read is swapped out. So it calls
swapread to get at it. Perhaps it sleeps on this I/O or is preempted for
whatever reason. Then during the time that it is not running, that process
that was swapped out it brought into core. Now when ps is again scheduled
the swapread fails because that page is no longer on the paging device.
As I said, I believe you should only see this with heavy system activity.
Also subsequent invocations of ps, due to the dynamic nature of things,
should read things successfully.

Hope this sheds some light.

Disclaimer: These opinions are mine, not necessarily LCC's

--

AIX Technical Support                 - or -

1. Getting PS/2-80's with AIX 1.1 on ethernet

Hello,

Has anyone out there in net.land managed to get PS/2 model 80's to run
TCP-IP with an ethernet controller, and talk to any machines other
than other PS2s on the same wire? If so, can you please tell me what
ethernet board you are using, what the EPROM revision numbers are and
other relevant information?

TO give you some background: I have a number of PS/2-80's on two runs
of thin ethernet. The machines are connected to the ethernet with HP
Thinlan MAUs. The two runs of ethernet go to a thinlan hub and from
there to the departmental backbone. We have over 200 machines of at
least thirty different kinds our cable, and they all talk happily to
each other. But those $%^#$ PS/2s won't talk to them, and they won't
even talk to each other. They seem to drop one out of three to five
packets, and I can't figure out why. I put a netanalyzer on the
cable and nothing peculiar shows. HELP!

Thanks,

/ji

2. PPTP and Linux Firewall

3. Problems with AIX 1.1 in PS/2

4. dlt recommendations for sco os5?

5. How to increase swap space in AIX PS/2 1.1?

6. Need help in installing SLS

7. SAR wanted for PS/2 AIX 1.1

8. /proc/net/ipv6_route format

9. PS/2 80 AIX 1.1 Tape Utilities & 6157 Streamer

10. AIX PS/2 - Free upgrade offer 1.1 to 1.2.1

11. kermit on a PS/2 running AIX 1.1

12. GNU Emacs 18.55 and AIX PS/2 1.1

13. what's the latest corrsvce for AIX 1.1 (PS/2) ??