Looking for experiences with two networks, one machine

Looking for experiences with two networks, one machine

Post by DeBak » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

At my place of employment, we are considering setting up two networks
for all of the Unix servers, one secure network for messaging and
another more public backbone for the users.

I was wondering if anyone has any experiences, good or bad, with
having two network adapters running seperate networks on a single Unix
server?  Most of the servers are high end R40's with multiple CPU's
and a large amount of memory.  I don't see any problem running two
netword adapters configured on two seperate networks, but I thought
I'd see if anyone out there has any stories to relate.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Doug Baker

Looking for experiences with two networks, one machine

Post by peter hakans » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

It won't add anything to security, and it might be almost as reliable
as having ONE network adapter.

It will make positive effects on IBMs account however, so please go on!

my 5c.

: At my place of employment, we are considering setting up two networks
: for all of the Unix servers, one secure network for messaging and
: another more public backbone for the users.

: I was wondering if anyone has any experiences, good or bad, with
: having two network adapters running seperate networks on a single Unix
: server?  Most of the servers are high end R40's with multiple CPU's
: and a large amount of memory.  I don't see any problem running two
: netword adapters configured on two seperate networks, but I thought
: I'd see if anyone out there has any stories to relate.

: Thanks in advance for any feedback.

: Doug Baker

Peter Hakanson  VolvoData Dep 2580 phone +46 31 66 74 27

Post by Daniel J. Blanch » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> At my place of employment, we are considering setting up two networks
> for all of the Unix servers, one secure network for messaging and
> another more public backbone for the users.
> I was wondering if anyone has any experiences, good or bad, with
> having two network adapters running seperate networks on a single Unix
> server?  Most of the servers are high end R40's with multiple CPU's
> and a large amount of memory.  I don't see any problem running two
> netword adapters configured on two seperate networks, but I thought
> I'd see if anyone out there has any stories to relate.

While we don't use multiple networks in the way you describe, we do
have multiple NIC cards in every unix box in the company.  It's part
of the basic design of the SP environment.  So long as you have your
routing properly configured, there should be no problems what so ever
with regards to multiple cards on separate networks.
--
Daniel Blanchat       | Never react by instinct alone, for in so doing, you

--finger me for my pgp key...--

Post by Hubi Min » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> At my place of employment, we are considering setting up two networks
> for all of the Unix servers, one secure network for messaging and
> another more public backbone for the users.

> I was wondering if anyone has any experiences, good or bad, with
> having two network adapters running seperate networks on a single Unix
> server?  Most of the servers are high end R40's with multiple CPU's
> and a large amount of memory.  I don't see any problem running two
> netword adapters configured on two seperate networks, but I thought
> I'd see if anyone out there has any stories to relate.

> Thanks in advance for any feedback.

> Doug Baker

We are running one R24-Box with 3 IBM-Ethernet-Adapters. Two of them are
connected with separate networks (subnets), one is standby in case of
failures. We have faced no problems so far with AIX 4.1.4 and 3.2.5.
Remember to switch ip-forwarding the way you want it.

Hubert Ming
IGGI, Switzerland

Post by James P. Ega » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

> At my place of employment, we are considering setting up two networks
> for all of the Unix servers, one secure network for messaging and
> another more public backbone for the users.

> I was wondering if anyone has any experiences, good or bad, with
> having two network adapters running seperate networks on a single Unix
> server?  Most of the servers are high end R40's with multiple CPU's
> and a large amount of memory.  I don't see any problem running two
> netword adapters configured on two seperate networks, but I thought
> I'd see if anyone out there has any stories to relate.

> Thanks in advance for any feedback.

> Doug Baker

In a previous job, I had 8 R24s, each with 2 10BaseT nets, 3 FDDI nets,
2 Fibre channel nets, and a Token Ring net. No problem.

/Jim/
--

Integrated Architectures, Inc.  | http://www.iai.com
300 East Main Street, Suite 207 | Tel: 508-634-3200 x209

Looking for experiences with two networks, one machine

Post by Ni » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> At my place of employment, we are considering setting up two networks
> for all of the Unix servers, one secure network for messaging and
> another more public backbone for the users.

> I was wondering if anyone has any experiences, good or bad, with
> having two network adapters running seperate networks on a single Unix
> server?  Most of the servers are high end R40's with multiple CPU's
> and a large amount of memory.  I don't see any problem running two
> netword adapters configured on two seperate networks, but I thought
> I'd see if anyone out there has any stories to relate.

> Thanks in advance for any feedback.

It should work without any significant problems, but I don't understand why
you would want to do that (except for network performance).  Once you have
two networks connected to a system, you have an interconnection between
them --  "poof" goes security.

Questions to consider asking before doing it are:
1. What routing table entries should be made?  Which should be the default
route?
2. Are you running an NTX terminal accelerator?  That ethernet adapter
requires special software and configuration.
3. Is there any possibility of circular routes between the multiple systems
(see #1 above).
4. How are you going to configure your Domain Name Server(s) if you use
them? You wil NOT want to route traffic thru a router (as per DNS address)
if the system can be accessed directly on the same network segment as the
requestor.

Looking for experiences with two networks, one machine

Post by DeBak » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Well the primary goal is to separate two types of network traffic, and
if we can make the "internal" network more secure then that is a
benefit.  How big a deal is it to keep the two networks seperate (i.e.
not seeing each other)?  I'm not overly experienced with networking
but there must be a way to configure it?

Thanks to all for the response, it has been helpfull.

Doug

On 7 Jan 1997 00:34:33 GMT, "Theodore (Nik) Nikodem"

>> At my place of employment, we are considering setting up two networks
>> for all of the Unix servers, one secure network for messaging and
>> another more public backbone for the users.

>> I was wondering if anyone has any experiences, good or bad, with
>> having two network adapters running seperate networks on a single Unix
>> server?  Most of the servers are high end R40's with multiple CPU's
>> and a large amount of memory.  I don't see any problem running two
>> netword adapters configured on two seperate networks, but I thought
>> I'd see if anyone out there has any stories to relate.

>> Thanks in advance for any feedback.

>It should work without any significant problems, but I don't understand why
>you would want to do that (except for network performance).  Once you have
>two networks connected to a system, you have an interconnection between
>them --  "poof" goes security.

>Questions to consider asking before doing it are:
>1. What routing table entries should be made?  Which should be the default
>route?
>2. Are you running an NTX terminal accelerator?  That ethernet adapter
>requires special software and configuration.
>3. Is there any possibility of circular routes between the multiple systems
>(see #1 above).
>4. How are you going to configure your Domain Name Server(s) if you use
>them? You wil NOT want to route traffic thru a router (as per DNS address)
>if the system can be accessed directly on the same network segment as the
>requestor.

1. Experiences with two soundcards in one machine ?

Hi,

I need to configure a system that can run two soundcards simultanously.
I only need the dsp device, and I'd like to use cheap cards. The
synthesizer part of the cards is completely uninteresting for me.

Does anybody have first hand experiences with a setup with two
soundcards ? The Sound HOWTO hints that this should be possible with
most cards, but isn't explicit. Any hints which cards would fit best ?

If I get any replies by email, I'd post a short summary in this group
later on.

Thanks in advance,

        Gregor

--
|                Gregor Hoffleit   Mathematisches Institut, Uni HD    |

|               (NeXTmail, MIME)   (49)6221 54-5771    fax  54-8312   |
|                  "We will make windows invisible"                   |

2. Apache 1.3.0 + mod_fastcgi

3. two network cards, two(?) networks, one computer...

4. BRU2000 and RedHat 5.0

5. two ip addresses / two gateways / one machine?

6. Computational Scientist (Sydney)

7. two IP's on one machine using two differnet NIC's

8. Future of binary compatibility for unix?

9. One Process on the machine having two IP address and two ethernet interface.

10. aliasing (All networked machines to read a file from one machine)

11. How to set my Linux machine to have two network cards with two IPs

12. two public ips from two networks on one server

13. One system, one NIC, two network addresses?