Trouble, trouble, trouble - SCSI ?

Post by Andre » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 04:06:43

Hello Group,

After spending a day on installing an Oracle database to 7025 F80 i was hit
by a rock.

Suddenly I got SCSI sync error and the machine was dead.

The leds on the tape drive was all flashing.

No commands were available - I was out of disks. No telnet nor nothing
working except dumb ping.

So I pressed reset. All the tests are fine after reboot - but how am I
supposed to run a db on it ?

Can I trust this machine any more ? What nightmare was it ?

I read log report and got a message to check SCSI cable or SCSI device. Buth
how on earth can a SCSI work fine for hours and then crash without warning ?

Any comments ?

Andrej

Trouble, trouble, trouble - SCSI ?

Post by Phil Crooke » Fri, 07 Sep 2001 13:02:12

Well, if the error analysis is correct, you've got a loose cable or terminator,
or more remotely a dud connector or even a faulty interface on a drive. The
reason the whole machine would have locked up is because the swap space is on
disk and if a cable fault happened, all that virutal memory would be gone and
you're deadybones (old Oz expression).

So before you put that thing into production I'd have a good look at the
cabling.

Overall, the AIX machines have been incredibly reliable.

cheers, Phil

--

Phil Crooker            ORIX Australia                  61 8 8159 8806

1. More@!!.. Panasonic/SB-CD troubles, trouble, trouble...

  Dear Readers,
       This is the 4th week that I have tried to get Linux to recognize
       my Panasonic SoundBlaster CD- ROM. I have tried to mount it using
       the Soundblaster CD drivers Etc. It is for this reason that I am
       still left wondering...... I have a 486 DX 33Mhz,Cirrus VL 5428
       video, and 16 MB of Ram. When I start Linux from my Boot disk, it
       tells me that it has reconized my CD-ROM and so I feed my Root disk.
               The trouble is that when I try to run Linux Slackware from my CD-ROM
       it tells me, CD Device Timed out and ignores my CD totally.
              As far as I am aware this problem has been reported by lots
       of people with the same CD's as myself.
               Maybe it is '' About time for a correction''. Maybe Panasonic knows
               a ' bit' more than We Do???

       I am open to any reasonable suggestion or idea.
              Thank you.
                M. Rokach.

2. parallel make for LAN

3. Routing trouble with RH 5,maybe NE2000 trouble ??

4. "top" command

5. HLP: Redhat- X trouble , CDROM trouble

6. Dec Unix 4.0d

7. motherboard trouble? Amd K5 trouble?

8. Help wiht Slackware 7

9. Troubles with ATAPI CDROM driver and weird network troubles <tulip card>

10. Nebie trouble ===> Trouble with ToolTalk

11. HAving trouble setting up X [Trident Troubles]

12. help i have trouble with x applicationhelp i have trouble with x application

13. Help, WP OFFICE 3.1 TROUBLE AND CL ALARM TROUBLE