AIX Update Directory - Free Choice ?

Post by Joerg Brueh » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Dear gurus,

I finally scheduled the upgrade of my machine from 4.1.2-something
to (at least) 4.1.5, higher up to follow as soon as possible.
I downloaded the 14 packages 'SubP.#.tar.gz' from IBM onto my
machine and unzipped them - all checksums are o.k.

Aside from checking the current state and doing backups (of course),
the text recommends to un-tar the packages into '/usr/sys/inst.images'.

Is there any special reason to use that directory (other than that
it may be SMIT's default for "update_all") ?
I would like to use another file system for the stuff, because
the free space in my '/usr' plus the free PPs in my 'rootvg'
are too small to hold all those 420 MB.

Alternatively - is it safe to have '/usr/sys/inst.images' as a
symbolic link into some file system in another volume group ?

Thank in advance,
Joerg Bruehe

--
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)

AIX Update Directory - Free Choice ?

Post by David Robert » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Aside from checking the current state and doing backups (of course),
> the text recommends to un-tar the packages into '/usr/sys/inst.images'.

It doesn't of course have to go there.  Try the following

1.  un-tar them into a filesystem that you have created or with enough
free space

2.  cd into the directory

3.  smitty update_all

4.  Put a '.' into the field for the source directory when prompted.
If you decided to skip point 3, the just enter the directory path into the
field.

Quote:> Is there any special reason to use that directory (other than that
> it may be SMIT's default for "update_all") ?

Standards, standards and more standards. Yawn!  However as before,
there is no reason why you have to.

Quote:> I would like to use another file system for the stuff, because
> the free space in my '/usr' plus the free PPs in my 'rootvg'
> are too small to hold all those 420 MB.

Adding space to /usr just to hold the fixes is rather daft.  Remembering
that giving space to it is easy, taking it away will be inconvenient.

In which case you can either use another filesystem, create a different
filesystem on you external volume group, or why not just create a filesystem
and mount it at /usr/sys/inst.images.  Again, put it in whatever vg you want
to.

Quote:> Alternatively - is it safe to have '/usr/sys/inst.images' as a
> symbolic link into some file system in another volume group ?

No reason why not.
> Thank in advance,
> Joerg Bruehe

> --
> Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
>      (speaking only for himself)

AIX Update Directory - Free Choice ?

Post by Joerg Brueh » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi AIXers !

David Roberts wrote (in answer to my question):

Quote:

> > Aside from checking the current state and doing backups (of course),
> > the text recommends to un-tar the packages into '/usr/sys/inst.images'.

> It doesn't of course have to go there.  Try the following
> [... detailed list of steps ...]

Thank you for supporting my ideas.

Just for the record: It worked without any problems having the files
in some other directory, installation succeeded.

Have a nice weekend,
Joerg Bruehe

--

Post by Norman Levi » Wed, 18 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> Dear gurus,

> I finally scheduled the upgrade of my machine from 4.1.2-something
> to (at least) 4.1.5, higher up to follow as soon as possible.
> I downloaded the 14 packages 'SubP.#.tar.gz' from IBM onto my
> machine and unzipped them - all checksums are o.k.

> Aside from checking the current state and doing backups (of course),
> the text recommends to un-tar the packages into '/usr/sys/inst.images'.

> Is there any special reason to use that directory (other than that
> it may be SMIT's default for "update_all") ?
> I would like to use another file system for the stuff, because
> the free space in my '/usr' plus the free PPs in my 'rootvg'
> are too small to hold all those 420 MB.

> Alternatively - is it safe to have '/usr/sys/inst.images' as a
> symbolic link into some file system in another volume group ?

 ** just create a separate logical volume to hold your
downloads and mount it at /usr/sys/inst.images
--
Norman Levin