Compiling C++ code using xlC 3.6.4

Post by Leslie Pendleto » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I am having a problem with C++ code on AIX generated by xlC_r version 3.6.4.
I need the code I generate to function correctly on AIX 4.1.5 and above. The
code builds and runs fine on any machine where this version of the compiler
was installed, but on a machine where the compiler was not installed the
libC_r library is missing some stuff. This is the error I get:

exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program <full path to executable> because of
the following errors:
        0509-027 Member ansi.o is not found or file is not an archive.
        0509-027 Member ansi.o is not found or file is not an archive.
        0509-022 Cannot load library libC_r.a[ansi.o].
        0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does not
exist.

Is there some flag I need to set to make it compatible or is there a fileset
I need to distribute with my application and install on the target machine?

I tried statically linking the libraries and that worked ok on 4.2 and 4.3
machines but not 4.1.5. The docs for the compiler strongly recommend against
static linking anyway so I don't really want to do that. Straight C programs
seem to work fine.

Thanks for any help,
Leslie

Compiling C++ code using xlC 3.6.4

Post by Jens-Uwe Mag » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:47:09 -0400, Leslie Pendleton

>I am having a problem with C++ code on AIX generated by xlC_r version 3.6.4.
>I need the code I generate to function correctly on AIX 4.1.5 and above. The
>code builds and runs fine on any machine where this version of the compiler
>was installed, but on a machine where the compiler was not installed the
>libC_r library is missing some stuff. This is the error I get:

>exec(): 0509-036 Cannot load program <full path to executable> because of
>the following errors:
>        0509-027 Member ansi.o is not found or file is not an archive.
>        0509-027 Member ansi.o is not found or file is not an archive.
>        0509-022 Cannot load library libC_r.a[ansi.o].
>        0509-026 System error: A file or directory in the path name does not
>exist.

>Is there some flag I need to set to make it compatible or is there a fileset
>I need to distribute with my application and install on the target machine?

>I tried statically linking the libraries and that worked ok on 4.2 and 4.3
>machines but not 4.1.5. The docs for the compiler strongly recommend against
>static linking anyway so I don't really want to do that. Straight C programs
>seem to work fine.

I believe the dynamic C++ runtime library is freely redistributable if you do
not put it into the standard system location, e.g. put it into your
applications directory.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager  <pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>
When your hammer is C++ everything starts to look like a thumb.

Compiling C++ code using xlC 3.6.4

Post by Mark Mende » Sat, 01 May 1999 04:00:00

The dynamic C++ runtime on AIX is freely redistributable.  Please add the
installp image from the C++ installation to your images, and prereq it in
your installp image.

Please do NOT install a C++ runtime anywhere other than the standard place.

(This was a change from AIX 3.2.5)
--
Mark Mendell
Visual Age C++ Development

1. Any plans for gdb to work with C++ code compiled by xlC 5.x

Hello,
Does anybody know if any plans exist for releasing
GDB that will work correctly with C++ code compiled
by IBM Visual Age C++ compiler version 5.x on AIX 4.3.x?
I understand that there are some differences between
how g++ and xlC generate C++ object code, but I thought
that it should be possible to accomodate both schemes.
Maybe it is a problem with that it is a proprietary infomation
how xlC generates C++ object code?
Yuriy.

2. tcpdump : need one line explanation

3. xlC C++ coding syntax query

4. crontab

5. c++ code wont compile using gcc

6. CD ROM Mounting Problems

7. using system() in Perl to execute compiled C++ code

8. Linksys- which card in setup

9. Messagemake error when using xlC on C++

10. Using VisualAge C++ debugger with xlC compiler

11. How to port C++ from HP 10.2 to AIX using xlc 3.x

12. PN: Getting C++/ODBC code compiled/running on Solaris 9

13. GCC 2.6.3 and problems compiling c++ code (iostream.h).