Reducing the size of /usr partition?

Post by Ted Schreib » Tue, 15 Dec 1992 14:21:11

I'm in the process of installing CAEDS on our RS6000 520's ( 3.2.2) with
670 Mb SCSI Drives. They only have 95Mb of Swap and CAEDS ( A Solid
Modeling and Analysis App) requires 135Mb of Swap.

Problem: Not enough free PP's to use as swap, and I Don't want to swap over
the Net.   SMIT tells me that reducing a partition can't be done - Is this
truely the case ? Is there some clever way of doing this, like wiping out
/usr and restoring it with a smaller partition - /usr is the only partition
that I could
do this on, the rest on the local disk would all be too small.

Please email any thoughts

Thanks

Ted Schreiber
Mechanical Enginering
Northwestern University

1. How to reduce the size of /dev/hd2 (/usr) space?

Does anybody know how to reduce the size of /dev/hd2 LV?
I am using AIX 4.3.2 and F50 machine.

Is it possible that I make a copy of /usr to say /usr_backup, destory
/dev/hd2 LV in the rootvg, recreate
it and copy /usr_backup back to /usr in the /dev/hd2 LV?

Thanks for any advices.

Regards,
Kheng Chye

2. SunOS Release 5.5 as an NT print server?

3. how can reduce the size of the /, /usr and /tmp filesystems ?

4. RH9 Router sending ARP packets

5. Reducing size of /usr

6. Mounting a remote filesystem

7. reduce /usr file system size

8. Red Hat installation keeps crashing.

9. Reducing the size of /usr filesystem

10. How to reduce size of Windows Partition?

11. lost Linux partitions and reduced hard drive size

12. reducing a linux partition size using util as is fips for dos/95??

13. partition: how to reduce size ?