adding processors

Post by Yannick GUILLOU » Fri, 26 Oct 2001 21:17:53

Hello

I have to upgrade a RS/6000 by adding a multi-processor card, so I have use
the MP kernel insted of the uniprocessor one. What is the right way to
achieve this upgrade ?

thanks in advance for any clue

adding processors

Post by Christer Pal » Sat, 27 Oct 2001 00:28:14

> I have to upgrade a RS/6000 by adding a multi-processor card, so I have use
> the MP kernel insted of the uniprocessor one. What is the right way to
> achieve this upgrade ?

> thanks in advance for any clue

AFAIK, the MP kernel should always be automatically selected when
installing a MP capable machine, regardless or not of wheter multiple
CPU's are actually present at installation time. Did you actually check
whether  /unix links to unix_up or unix_mp?

--
Christer Palm

adding processors

Post by Yannick GUILLOU » Fri, 26 Oct 2001 22:36:04

yes, /unix is linked to unix_mp, but happened is that I tried to insert the
bi-processor card and then the server crashed 1 or 2 minutes after booting,
so I was wondering what I forgot to do or what was the problem !!!! (I am
quite a newbie on unix servers)
Any idea ?

thanks in advance

> > I have to upgrade a RS/6000 by adding a multi-processor card, so I have
use
> > the MP kernel insted of the uniprocessor one. What is the right way to
> > achieve this upgrade ?

> > thanks in advance for any clue

> AFAIK, the MP kernel should always be automatically selected when
> installing a MP capable machine, regardless or not of wheter multiple
> CPU's are actually present at installation time. Did you actually check
> whether  /unix links to unix_up or unix_mp?

> --
> Christer Palm

1. Add processors to an F50

Hi there,

We currently have an F50 with a single
166mhz processor.

We bought two 2-way 332mhz cards from
ebay (trying to make the most of our
dollars)

Anything special need to be done in
AIX?  Or is it just plug and play?
I know that there won't be any instructions
coming with them...

Any help or pointers to additional information
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Eric

2. Gnu Make problem: not finding makefile & targets

3. Aix add processor

4. disconnected a ftp client

5. adding processor

6. Can I use Windows fonts?

7. Adding processor to 43p 240

8. Newbie Apache and CGI Problems

9. adding a processor/memory on E250

10. Adding a second processor

11. Adding a Processor

12. [2.5] Add Focus processor bit comment

13. Adding a second processor SUN 250 with Solaris 8