Tracing a particular process...

Post by Antonio Dell'elc » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

> Hello!

> A couple of questions...

> wrt AIX 4.1:

> Is is possible to restrict the 'trace' command to only record system calls
> relating to a single process?
> (ie to give a result more like the SVR4 'truss' command)

> Also, attempting to start xldb from a shell results in an "illegal
> instruction (core dumped)". Does anyone have any quick solutions?

> Thanks in advance,

> John Casebow

> -----------------------------

I dont know it it is possible but there is a replacement program
(commercial)
which acts like truss/strace it is sctrace from the kernel group,

you can find it at:

http://www.tkg.com/sctrace/

Unluckily it is a commercial program...

Antonio

Tracing a particular process...

Post by Jim J. Shaff » Sat, 06 May 2000 04:00:00

AIX trace traces for all processes.  The trace can be filtered by
process at report time, see the -p option of trcrpt.

   -p List Reports the process IDs for each event specified by the List
   variable. The List variable may be a list of process IDs or a list of
   process names. List items that start with a numeric character are
   assumed to be process IDs. The list items can be separated by commas
   or enclosed in double quotation marks and separated by commas or
   blanks.

>> Hello!

>> A couple of questions...

>> wrt AIX 4.1:

>> Is is possible to restrict the 'trace' command to only record system calls
>> relating to a single process?
>> (ie to give a result more like the SVR4 'truss' command)

[snip]

--
Jim Shaffer
BellNet:        (512)989-5537

Experience is what you get when you were expecting something else.