HACMP mutual configurations passwd update

HACMP mutual configurations passwd update

Post by stev » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 19:40:46

Hi,

We are running a HA mutual scenario at out site and we are having
difficulty keeping the passwords up to date between the machines. We
have some users defined on the 1 machine and not on the other etc.

We are thinking of implementing NIS, I would just like to get some
comments of how other sites accomplish this task.

Thanks.

HACMP mutual configurations passwd update

Post by Alan Do » Thu, 17 Jan 2002 00:02:53

I have found that rdist works well, provided you make sure that you
add users to 1 machine only.  Just put the /etc entries you need and
/home (or put /home on shared disk) and sync the files.

I have got around the security aspect by using a crontab entry to
create a .rhosts for root containig the enrty for the servers in the
cluster, only at a specific time for a few mins.

It's a bit more easy then NIS I guess.

> Hi,

> We are running a HA mutual scenario at out site and we are having
> difficulty keeping the passwords up to date between the machines. We
> have some users defined on the 1 machine and not on the other etc.

> We are thinking of implementing NIS, I would just like to get some
> comments of how other sites accomplish this task.

> Thanks.

1. HACMP + Oracle in a mutual takeover config

Hi,

It has been a while since I fiddled with HA. I think the basics still
remain the same. Currently we're analyzing the requirements. I already
downloaded a redbook about this
matter but this one is about 2 years old.

My idea of a config is to have 2 machines with each one of them running
Oracle. Each server would have it's own instance and it would take over
the other instance from the moment the partner crashes.

So you need to take over the IP address + the database !

I still have two concerns :

1. The oracle listener : Is it possible to have two listeners running or
can one listener listen for two IP addresses or maybe the oracle
listener has some builtin features for HA

2. Database recovery : I currently use ADSM to backup the databases I
bring the databases offline then I do the backup. I don't use the Oracle
Agent for ADSM  yet but I'm planning to use it. Does anyone have
experience with this agent in a cluster. You can easely fool ADSM that
you're the other node but maybe that this will have an effect on the
recovery process.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

2. NEWBIE: Setting up Extended Log Format w/Apache 1.2.5?

3. Read-Copy Update mutual exclusion for linux

4. Is it OK to delete stuff in the /var/sadm/pkg directory?

5. passwd: can't open ptmp, can't update passwd

6. Question about hostname

7. CVS passwd file not updated with passwd

8. Setting up KDM in /etc/ttys

9. Why doesn't passwd/yppasswd update NIS passwd maps?

10. sync passwd in HACMP

11. hacmp and passwd alignment

12. HACMP passwd sync?

13. HACMP passwd synchronisation