How do I backup an entire physical drive?

How do I backup an entire physical drive?

Post by bondtra.. » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Help!  What is the easiest way to backup an entire physical drive with
raw devices/file systems defined on it?  Basically, we have a drive
going bad, want to back it up, replace the drive, and restore it.  ANy
suggestions greatly appreciated!  Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

How do I backup an entire physical drive?

Post by bondtra.. » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Help!  What is the easiest way to backup an entire physical drive with
raw devices/file systems defined on it?  Basically, we have a drive
going bad, want to back it up, replace the drive, and restore it.  ANy
suggestions greatly appreciated!  Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

How do I backup an entire physical drive?

Post by Aamir Chaudr » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Your physical drive must belong to a volume group , why dont you backup
the volume group through smit and then after you have replaced the hard
drive simply resotre the contents back. I think that will take care of
your problem.

HTH

Aamir

> Help!  What is the easiest way to backup an entire physical drive with
> raw devices/file systems defined on it?  Basically, we have a drive
> going bad, want to back it up, replace the drive, and restore it.  ANy
> suggestions greatly appreciated!  Thanks

How do I backup an entire physical drive?

Post by Kevin R. Ge » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Nice theory, but what standard AIX command will backup raw LVs in a
volume group?  None that I know of (look carefully at the man page for
savevg -- it doesn't do what you think it does).

The best option is to just backup each raw LV using the dd command, or
use the Sysback/6000 product.

Kevin

> Your physical drive must belong to a volume group , why dont you
backup
> the volume group through smit and then after you have replaced the
hard
> drive simply resotre the contents back. I think that will take care of
> your problem.

> HTH

> Aamir

> > Help!  What is the easiest way to backup an entire physical drive
with
> > raw devices/file systems defined on it?  Basically, we have a drive
> > going bad, want to back it up, replace the drive, and restore it.
ANy
> > suggestions greatly appreciated!  Thanks

Kevin R. Gee
MS Student, University of Texas at Arlington, Arlington, TX
Senior UNIX Administrator, Origin Technology in Business, Arlington, TX

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

How do I backup an entire physical drive?

Post by Norman Levi » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

dd if=/dev/rhdisk? of=/dev/rmt0 bs=fatnumber
--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

How do I backup an entire physical drive?

Post by James W Parke » Thu, 15 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I hate to ask what I would call the obvious, but should you have room in
the
system, why are you not going to perform an "migratepv" on the disk?
much better than any  old tape :)

> Help!  What is the easiest way to backup an entire physical drive with
> raw devices/file systems defined on it?  Basically, we have a drive
> going bad, want to back it up, replace the drive, and restore it.  ANy
> suggestions greatly appreciated!  Thanks

1. How copy/backup entire drive to another drive?

Do you know the easiest way to copy the entire linux drive to another drive in
a way that preserves system integrity: permissions, directory trees, etc?

I need a complete copy of my linux system so I can wipe out the partition and
start over because of partition damage.  In windows I know I can do something
like, "xcopy c:\*.* d:\backups /s" to accomplish this.  No idea how to do it
in Linux.

I've tried using dump but I'm getting the commands wrong. Instead of copying
the files I get that menu of operators/instructions.  I've also downloaded
every linux backup program found on linuxberg but they want to back up to tape
drives or make a mirror copy to a blank drive or have weird
instructions/requirements that I do not meet.

I've also tried cpio but it has a zillion command operators and I have no idea
which one(s) to use to do a complete drive backup (and yes I already bought
and read a Linux book [Que's "Using Linux"] but it seems outdated and very
limited as far as backing up is concerned).

Can you help?

Thanks!

Andre'

2. ufs with 1.3.x ?

3. How would one go about getting DirecPC working ?

4. Newly Partitioned Drive is Smaller than the entire drive

5. Welcome to comp.unix.questions [Frequent posting]

6. Problems doing backup to a CD-RW drive

7. LILO 1024 cylinder limit

8. dos backup using SCSI tape drive

9. Networking a CD-RW drive and doing backups

10. Backup entire disk with dd

11. Backup a entire System

12. Backup and Restore an entire system