HELP: how to kill a stopped 'tar' job?

Post by Shinn-Tzong » Sat, 29 Aug 1992 20:47:05

Hi, we had problem in killing a stopped 'tar' job, no matter what kind
of parameters we put, the process was still there and no one can access
the /dev/rmt0 because the previous process still existed.  I have done
twice the most stupidest way - reboot the whole 520 - just to regan access
the /dev/rmt0.  Would anyone tell me how to kill (-9 won't work) that
runaway process?  Thanks...

Shinn

Post by chris kenne » Mon, 31 Aug 1992 00:17:08

>Hi, we had problem in killing a stopped 'tar' job, no matter what kind
>of parameters we put, the process was still there and no one can access
>the /dev/rmt0 because the previous process still existed.  I have done
>twice the most stupidest way - reboot the whole 520 - just to regan access
>the /dev/rmt0.  Would anyone tell me how to kill (-9 won't work) that
>runaway process?  Thanks...

I would also appreciate any advice on how to regain a tape drive when a job
is killed.  So far the only thing that I have been able to get to work is to
reboot the machine and since we have two tape drives that are both used heavily
this is sometime difficult to schedule.  Another, possibly related problem,
which I have not had but several of the other people who worl on our machine
have had is that the x-windows display will freeze up when you execute ctl-
alt-backspace.  Ususally what happens is that ps says that the job is dead but
the keyboard and mouse don't respond and the screen still has the x-window
stuff on it.  I would appreciate any help I could get with either one of these
problems.

CHris

HELP: how to kill a stopped 'tar' job?

Post by elio » Thu, 03 Sep 1992 05:07:21

If you are on 3.2.0, it is a bug in the tape device driver.  Call software
support and get a fix.  I did, and everything's fine now.

eliot

Post by Chuck Roy » Wed, 02 Sep 1992 03:32:38

|> >Hi, we had problem in killing a stopped 'tar' job, no matter what kind
|> >of parameters we put, the process was still there and no one can access
|> >the /dev/rmt0 because the previous process still existed.  I have done
|> >twice the most stupidest way - reboot the whole 520 - just to regan access
|> >the /dev/rmt0.  Would anyone tell me how to kill (-9 won't work) that
|> >runaway process?  Thanks...
|> >

|> I would also appreciate any advice on how to regain a tape drive when a job
|> is killed.  So far the only thing that I have been able to get to work is to
|> reboot the machine and since we have two tape drives that are both used heavily
|> this is sometime difficult to schedule.  Another, possibly related problem,
|> which I have not had but several of the other people who worl on our machine
|> have had is that the x-windows display will freeze up when you execute ctl-
|> alt-backspace.  Ususally what happens is that ps says that the job is dead but
|> the keyboard and mouse don't respond and the screen still has the x-window
|> stuff on it.  I would appreciate any help I could get with either one of these
|> problems.
|>
|> CHris

I have been able to "kill" a job and get my tape drive back (8mm) by manually
ejecting the tape.  This must send a "reset" or "disconnect" signal down the
SCSI bus that terminates whatever the tar command is waiting for.  Give it a
try.

--

- Chuck Royer

Post by Rick Cochr » Thu, 03 Sep 1992 22:26:41

|> If you are on 3.2.0, it is a bug in the tape device driver.  Call software
|> support and get a fix.  I did, and everything's fine now.
|>

|> eliot

As near as one can determine from Defect Support's APAR descriptions, this
appears to be IX21746.

Unfortunately, determining what PTF to order to obtain a particular APAR
seems to be a monumental task.  I'm waiting expectantly.

--

|E20 Clark Hall, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853          cornell!msc.cornell.edu!rick|

Post by sh.. » Fri, 04 Sep 1992 22:47:17

> >Hi, we had problem in killing a stopped 'tar' job, no matter what kind
> >of parameters we put, the process was still there and no one can access
> >the /dev/rmt0 because the previous process still existed.  I have done
> >twice the most stupidest way - reboot the whole 520 - just to regan access
> >the /dev/rmt0.  Would anyone tell me how to kill (-9 won't work) that
> >runaway process?  Thanks...

> I would also appreciate any advice on how to regain a tape drive when a job
> is killed.  So far the only thing that I have been able to get to work is to
> reboot the machine and since we have two tape drives that are both used heavily
> this is sometime difficult to schedule.

What level of AIX are you running?  3.1?  3.2?  I believe
you will be interested in picking up the fix for APAR ix24854.
For future reference, people with problems/questions should call
1-800-237-5511 instead of hoping that someone on the net has
the time or knowledge to answer serious questions like this.
Please don't take this statement as chiding.  But we care about the
quality of AIX and think the 1-800 number is the fastest way
to a problem resolution, rather than groping for answers on the
net.  Anyway, to order the fix, you gotta call the 1-800 number
anyway.......

Quote:> Another, possibly related problem,
> which I have not had but several of the other people who worl on our machine
> have had is that the x-windows display will freeze up when you execute ctl-
> alt-backspace.  Ususally what happens is that ps says that the job is dead but
> the keyboard and mouse don't respond and the screen still has the x-window
> stuff on it.  I would appreciate any help I could get with either one of these
> problems.

> CHris

Don't know anything about the graphics stuff, just a dumb device
driver grunt.  But, there is this 1-800 number that......
--
The views expressed are my own.  They do not represent IBM.

Phone:(512) 838-3357            tie line 678-3357

Post by Curt Finch 903 2F021 c.. » Sat, 05 Sep 1992 08:07:02

>|> If you are on 3.2.0, it is a bug in the tape device driver.  Call software
>|> support and get a fix.  I did, and everything's fine now.
>As near as one can determine from Defect Support's APAR descriptions, this
>appears to be IX21746.

The only defect (33241) associated with this apar was cancelled over a
year ago

33241: ix21746  SIGNAL CAUSES TAPE DRIVER TO HANG
PMR: 9x492,293,000 created  91/07/25

SYSTEM CALLS TO TAPE DRIVE ON CERTAIN OCCASIONS (READ, WRITE,
IOCTL) DON'T RETURN TO USER APPLICAT ION.  A KILL -9 OF THE
PROCESS FAILED TO TERMINATED THE PROCESS.  THE TAPE IS IN
AN UNUSABLE STATE AT THIS TIME, THE DRIVER IS HUNG WAITING
FOR THE I/O TO BE COMPLETED (PRESUMABLY).

My views are unrelated to those of IBM     |        Austin, TX
 FICA doesn't help the poor.  It mostly goes to old people with incomes >$40k.

Post by Rick Cochr » Sat, 05 Sep 1992 22:24:16

|> For future reference, people with problems/questions should call
|> 1-800-237-5511 instead of hoping that someone on the net has
|> the time or knowledge to answer serious questions like this.

Judging by the distance between this statement and reality, I would guess
that you are a _developer_.  Am I right?

--

|E20 Clark Hall, Ithaca, N.Y. 14853          cornell!msc.cornell.edu!rick|

1. Looking for a better 'tar' than 'tar'

        I'm looking for a better tape archive program than 'tar'.  I'm
looking for the same functionality as tar (adding files to an archive,
multiple archives, etc.), but I need something that deals gracefully
with read errors.  I'm running DEC ULTRIX on a DECstation 5000, and
our version of tar aborts if it encounters a read error on the tape,
making the rest of the archive following the error inaccessible.

        Backward compatibility is not required - this will be used to
create new archives rather than working with archives made by tar.

--
Mark D. Conner
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences

2. Should I install Linux??

3. How to kill process which not killed by 'kill' ?

4. Install done!New Bare.I!

5. newbie:'kill -STOP $$' explanation

6. Newbie: V550 AGP and XFree86

7. How do I 'kill -STOP' a whole tree branch?

8. Strange messages with ppp

9. Unable to cancel job or stop 'qdaemon'

10. 'tar' with large backup jobs / spanning tapes

11. BUG: 'tar +help' doesn't work with libc.so.4.4!!

12. Can''t kill process w/ KILL

13. getting a tar file off a tape when you've tar cf'ed first