Oracle 7.3.4 on AIX 4.2.1. Performance Blues... Any Ideas for this "Self Tuning Box"?

Oracle 7.3.4 on AIX 4.2.1. Performance Blues... Any Ideas for this "Self Tuning Box"?

Post by Mike » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have a relatively small database on AIX 4.2.1 (model J30) running Oracle
7.3.4.3 Financials...

Estat and Bstat all look pretty good. Testing has revealed that sql
statements (especially inserts) do not seem to be getting cached. The same
sql execute over and over takes the same time or longer to execute...

Are there any key patches either Oracle or AIX that could possibly improve
poor response.  We are not using async/io as it does not seem to make any
difference.

I can provide much more detail on what has been tried, config files, etc...

TIA,

Mike

Post by Robert Kenned » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I have a relatively small database on AIX 4.2.1 (model J30) running Oracle
> 7.3.4.3 Financials...

> Estat and Bstat all look pretty good. Testing has revealed that sql
> statements (especially inserts) do not seem to be getting cached. The same
> sql execute over and over takes the same time or longer to execute...

> Are there any key patches either Oracle or AIX that could possibly improve
> poor response.  We are not using async/io as it does not seem to make any
> difference.

> I can provide much more detail on what has been tried, config files, etc...

> TIA,

> Mike

Mike,
    Oracle performance on AIX issues have been covered at great length in this
group within the last year or so.  Check out the archive and do a search on
"Oracle" or "Oracle tuning" or something similar.  You should be able to find
what you're looking for.  If you don't please repost a new question and we'll
help in any way we can.

http://www.thp.Uni-Duisburg.DE/cuaix/cuaix.html

Regards,

Rob
--
Robert Kennedy - A fool and his ideas are...umm...uhh...I forgot.
Boeing Space and Communications Group

f u cn rd ths ur prbly a unix usr...