out of paging space

Post by reinhard.ha.. » Thu, 09 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Running sendmail (+ qpopper) on a SP-Cluster  (AIX 4.3.2 - HACMP), we noticed that the
paging space in use grows about 100 KB per minute.

But the interesting part is that there is only a process (determined with svmon) which
uses pageing space. This process is "swapper" (pid == 0). And realmemory (vmtuned
to 20% for files) is not the problem, i.e. there is a lot of free real-memory and vmstat
shows no paging!!!)

svmon shows that the segment "work page table area" grows till about 32KB, creating
a new segment which then grows ... (we cannot find any process which owns this
segment ??? ).

After stopping all (mailserver-)processes, the allocated paging space still remains.
We have to reboot the machine to free up the paging space.

Is there anybody out there having similiar problems - advices are welcomed!

Reinhard

1. More page outs than page ins?

Hi,

Would anyone be kind enough to explain to me why systems usually have
more page-outs than page-ins? It has got me stumped for quite some
time. I would think that if 100mb is paged out from memory to disk,
then similarly 100mb should be paged-in back from disk to physical
memory?

Or is my understand of paging-in and paging-out wrong? i.e Page-outs
occur when a page is pushed from main memory to the paging space due
to a variety of reasons (lack of physical memory being one of them)
while page-ins' occur when there is free physical memory and these
pages are pushed back from disk back to the physical memory.

TIA!

2. [2.5] smc91c92 ethtool support take 2

3. Removing banner pages from print outs

4. Slack 3.1.0 bootdsk hangs at "LI"?

5. not printing last page of long print outs.

6. sysinfo for Solaris 2.5.1

7. page outs in Solaris 7

8. Does GNU Java Web Server exist ?

9. Page outs with LOTSA memory: why?

10. Paging space size (NOT swap space size)

11. VMWare = Swap space on Host Linux and paging space for Guest OS

12. Paging space & File System space

13. memory space vs page space