CD ROM

Post by Monica Lu » Wed, 07 Oct 1992 01:14:05

Our CD ROM drive (running Info Explorer) has a flashing light indicating
that it needs to be cleaned.  Scouring IBM manuals has not enlightened me
on how to clean it (surprise, surprise).  Anyway, has anyone successfully
cleaned their drive?

Thanks,

CD ROM

Post by John Dav » Wed, 07 Oct 1992 06:13:08

> Our CD ROM drive (running Info Explorer) has a flashing light indicating
> that it needs to be cleaned.  Scouring IBM manuals has not enlightened me
> on how to clean it (surprise, surprise).  Anyway, has anyone successfully
> cleaned their drive?

you should have received a cleaning kit with the drive - it looks
like a cd caddy with a row of fine bristles where the head runs.
Simply eject the normal cd caddy, power the cdrom drive off, insert
the cleaning caddy, power on and let it do it's stuff for a few minutes.

| o    (Depart)mental Programmer,Chemistry Department    o |
| o  University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand o |

I've just ploughed through the entirety of misc,hardware and setup, to no
avail;  I installed Linux from the sbpcd boot disk (as I have a Panasonic
CD-ROM drive hanging off a SoundBlaster-compat. card), and the CD-ROM drive
chugged away happily to give me the OS.  However, my concerns about the size of
everything I was prompted to install made me decide NOT to install the linux
source.

Now, when I boot up the CD drive cannot be mounted because of 'wrong fs, blah
blah, or other error'.  I interrogated sbpcd.h (I *did* install the includes)
and the setup was incorrect.  Because I can't mount the CD drive I can't get
the source off the CD - re-booting off the boot disk (sbpcd) and trying a
reinstall  from the CD using setup gives a warning that the CD drive can't be
mounted.

Should I delete the linux partition and start from scratch again?  I do really
need to access the CD drive, and I realise now that it is kind of useful to
have the OS source.

Apart from that, it's great having a proper OS on my PC at last!

John

2. fetchmail and ms exchange server

3. CD-ROM driver for Turtle Beach/Funai 6X CD-ROM?

4. Alphaserver isp1020 SCSI performance

5. Intsall from CD-ROM without a CD-ROM

6. More network info

7. Strange CD-ROM Issue (aka CD-ROM Problem)

8. file transfering from LYNX

9. PAS 16 CD-ROM and Slakware96, mounting CD-ROM crashes system

10. CD Rom / CD ROM RW blues

11. CD-ROm ? WHat CD-ROM

12. CD ROM Support For Older Panasonic CD-ROM Drives

13. Mount CD-ROM over network and report as CD-ROM