Mail to /var/spool/mail/a/auser

Post by Simon Travagl » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I posted this last year but didn't get any responses.
Anyone know of a local mail deliverer to put a users mail
into a subdirectory of /var/spool/mail to decrease lookup
time.
I can configure my popd to look there, but can't see any
way of using aix's default mailers with this.

                - Simon

--

          http://prime-mover.cc.waikato.ac.nz
University of Waikato, Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand..

Mail to /var/spool/mail/a/auser

Post by Mike Hollym » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

You can use mail.local that comes with sendmail-8.x.  You need to edit the .c
file to expand the first letter of the login.

If you want the source info, mail me.

>Hi, I posted this last year but didn't get any responses.
>Anyone know of a local mail deliverer to put a users mail
>into a subdirectory of /var/spool/mail to decrease lookup
>time.
>I can configure my popd to look there, but can't see any
>way of using aix's default mailers with this.
>            - Simon
>--

>          http://prime-mover.cc.waikato.ac.nz
>University of Waikato, Private Bag 3105, Hamilton, New Zealand..

--
Mike Hollyman                              www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/mikeh
Computing & Communications Services Office

Mail to /var/spool/mail/a/auser

Post by Lee Garn » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

My site is also interested in this topic because we're going
to eventually be supporting 30,000+ e-mail users.

Anyway, let's say you can get mail.local to drop the mail
where you want it in this hierarchical mail spool, and you
have the POP3 server looking in the right place, too.

Now, what about the Unix e-mail clients being used interactively,
e.g. Elm & Pine (not to mention the "standard" Unix mail commands
like "Mail" & "mailx").

To get them to find the inbox, is it just a matter of setting the
MAIL environment variable to "/var/spool/mail/a/auser" in /etc/profile
(or /etc/csh.cshrc or whatever)?

Or are you guys making source code changes to Elm & Pine to build
in support for the hierarchical mail spool?

 - Lee

:
: You can use mail.local that comes with sendmail-8.x.  You need to edit the .c
: file to expand the first letter of the login.
:
: If you want the source info, mail me.
:
: >Hi, I posted this last year but didn't get any responses.
: >Anyone know of a local mail deliverer to put a users mail
: >into a subdirectory of /var/spool/mail to decrease lookup
: >time.
: >I can configure my popd to look there, but can't see any
: >way of using aix's default mailers with this.

+--------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+

| Academic Computing & Network Services      | BITNet:    Not any more!       |
| Florida State University                   | Facsimile: (904) 644-8722      |
| Tallahassee, Florida 32306-3042  USA       | Voice:     (904) 644-2591      |
+--------------------------------------------+--------------------------------+

Post by Mike Hollym » Thu, 16 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>My site is also interested in this topic because we're going
>to eventually be supporting 30,000+ e-mail users.
>Anyway, let's say you can get mail.local to drop the mail
>where you want it in this hierarchical mail spool, and you
>have the POP3 server looking in the right place, too.
>Now, what about the Unix e-mail clients being used interactively,
>e.g. Elm & Pine (not to mention the "standard" Unix mail commands
>like "Mail" & "mailx").
>To get them to find the inbox, is it just a matter of setting the
>MAIL environment variable to "/var/spool/mail/a/auser" in /etc/profile
>(or /etc/csh.cshrc or whatever)?
>Or are you guys making source code changes to Elm & Pine to build
>in support for the hierarchical mail spool?

Yes, you just need to set the MAIL environment for users.  We have 30K+
users and are moving from a 2 tier (/var/mail/letter/login) to a multi-tier
system like (/var/mail/letter/first_two_letters/login), maybe even one more
level.

The performance loss by not doing this is far too great for that many files.

We set:

MAIL=/var/mail/m/mikeh
MAILDROP=/var/mail/m/mikeh

To get all the local mail readers to work.  I believe the MAILDROP is for
mh to work properly.

Mike