64/32 bit binaries

Post by nilesh pate » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Can we load a 32 bit binary into 64 bit kernel ?
How to differentiate/find weather a particular object file is 32 or 64
bit ? What is the command for that ?

Can we call an extension an object file ?

What are the issues if we go from 32 bit kernel to 64 bit kernel
regarding kernel extensions ?

Thanks

Nilesh

1. code to determine 64-bit vs 32-bit binaries?

Can anyone post sample code showing how to determine, within a Solaris
process space, whether a program it's about to exec is a 64-bit or
32-bit executable? No use saying "man file"; I have to do it within the
current process. And of course the next obvious response is "take a look
at GNU or BSD file commands and see what they do". Unfortunately I've
tried that and it's not working right. So if any of you have ever had to
do this and have a few lines of C code to post, I'd appreciate it.

M.Biswas

2. Detection of failed user login

3. Solaris 9 installed with 32 & 64 bit supports but boots in 32 bit mode

4. Microsoft E-mail and Unix systems

5. performance of runing 32/64 bit program in 64 bit kernel.

6. Mandrake install problem

7. The apache binaries 32 or 64 bit?

8. Slow as a pig

9. 32/64 bit binaries compiling differences?

10. How 32 bit driver can be ported to 64 bit driver?

11. 32 bits vs. 64 bits Oracle

12. 32 bit or 64 bit

13. Best Build machine: KT333 w/ 32 bit PCI or KT266 w/ 64 bit pci