Why does CAP say "socket(): Addr family not supprtd by protocol"?

Why does CAP say "socket(): Addr family not supprtd by protocol"?

Post by Timothy Fredri » Thu, 01 Apr 1993 03:11:26

We have a version of CAP running on our AIX 3.2 machine to access
Localtalk-connected printers.  And it works.  But I wanted to compile
a new version to attempt to fix a tickle-timing bug and have not
been able to get it to work.  With the same atalk.local file, getzones
yields:

 getzones
socket(): Addr family not supprtd by protocol
error -1098 getting zone list

In fact this is the same error message it gives if there is *no*
atalk.local file.

I changed very little when compiling CAP 6.0pl126.  I answered
"yes" to the question about installing in a debug directory, I did
a "gen.makes" with the m4.setup file that was generated by
Configure without changing it.  We have the UDP definitions in /etc/services
which are used by the preceding version of CAP.  So for anyone else who
has gotten CAP6.0pl126 to work under AIX, were there any other changes
you had to make to the default distribution?

Thanks in advance.

--Tim Fredrick, Ntl Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, CO 80307-1000

Post by David Horns » Thu, 01 Apr 1993 23:39:48

>We have a version of CAP running on our AIX 3.2 machine to access
>Localtalk-connected printers.  And it works.  But I wanted to compile
>a new version ...
>socket(): Addr family not supprtd by protocol

It appears that you have Configured CAP for use with "kernel appletalk"
(since this error message can only be generated from lib/cap/abkas.c).
and don't have netatalk installed in the kernel.

Re-run 'Configure' and answer all the questions with the defaults (except
possibly for "build in single directory"), re-run 'gen.makes', 'make clean'
and 'make programs'.

 - David.

1. calling socket protocol family from another socket protocol family ?

I am developing a new socket protocol family.

When getting into the connect routine I notice
that the request goes to a remote computer and I
would like to get this handled by AF_INET.

I was hoping to be able to call

my_connect_routing:

                struct socket *socktramp;
                int retval;
                retval = sock_create (PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM,
IPPROTO_TCP, &socktramp);
                printk ("creating new socket (%d).\n", retval);

                retval = socktramp->ops->connect (socktramp, uaddr,
addr_len, flags);

                printk ("connected ?!\n");
                release_sock (sk);

The creation of an AF_INET socket seems to work (0).

however, the call to the ->ops->connect function (which
should be the AF_INET family) fails:

   connect(): Address family not supported by protocol

Are there better ways of handling this ?

Thanks,
Mark

2. extern "C" and name mangling ?

3. ab/apachebench and "Address family not supported by protocol" - FreeBDS 4.2/Redhat 7.0

4. SB16 setup

5. I say "Hello" Linux says "Goodbye" ... aaarghhh

6. Athlon/MSI mobo combo broken?

7. How does "Time Synch Protocol" relate to "Network Time Protocol"?

8. Upgrading XFree86

9. socket() error : Address family not supported by protocol family

11. sh says: test "$1" = "" when $1="-b"

12. Arggh, Apache (OS/2) says: "Socket operation on non-socket."