Hierarchical Storage Managment for AIX

Post by David Mycu » Tue, 10 Nov 1998 04:00:00

        Very Specific situation:

        I have a magstar 3575 and an rs6kR20 (AIX4.3).  I want to dump data
always onto the rs6k drives and have it migrated transparently to the tape
library, leaving a stub file, which will get me the data back when I need
it.  ADSM with HSM extended device support looks like it will do the job,
but I am hoping there is an easier way, since adsm seems designed to do a
lot more.   NetTAPE on the other hand, does many neat things, but
apparently not what we want.

        Anyone know the answer to my prayers?

        I know this is a perfect question for an IBM sales rep, but we got this
H/W via SUR grant, and have no rep.  We also get most of our software thru
HESC, so there is probably no commission to be made and hence little
incentive for them to talk to us.

Dave

Hierarchical Storage Managment for AIX

Post by Chuck Matter » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I'm running ADSM to do backups and HSM on AIX, it works well.  It's a
huge paradigm switch to get used to the backups and if you have only
this server it's massive overkill.  If you have a bunch of servers
then you'd need a dedicated ADSM server.  But, to the best of my
knowledge, ADSM is the only product out there that does HSM on AIX.
Anyone heard any differently?

Quote:>    I have a magstar 3575 and an rs6kR20 (AIX4.3).  I want to dump data
> always onto the rs6k drives and have it migrated transparently to the tape
> library, leaving a stub file, which will get me the data back when I need
> it.  ADSM with HSM extended device support looks like it will do the job,
> but I am hoping there is an easier way, since adsm seems designed to do a
> lot more.   NetTAPE on the other hand, does many neat things, but
> apparently not what we want.

|Chuck Mattern           | "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."|

1. Hierarchical Storage Management Software

I am looking for a software package that will provide Hierarchical
Storage Management for Solaris 2.5. Our Online storage is an EMC disk
barn, the second level storage will be a slower array of disks, and the
third level will be tape (most likely 8mm).

Please CC me via email when posting a reply.

--
+| Derrick Shultz
+| Unix System Administrator

+|
+| <Insert Standard Employer Disclamer Here >

2. SCSI Adaptec 1515 - Failed detection

3. Hierarchical Storage Management info required

4. Seek help to develop linux applications

5. shell scripts for hierarchical storage management?

6. Multithreaded programming and terminfo

7. Evaluating Hierarchical Storage Management Options

8. problems with OKIPAGE 6w

9. HSM (Hierarchical Storage Management)

10. STATE-OF-THE-ART REPORT ON HIERARCHICAL STORAGE MANAGEMENT (HSM) S/W

11. UNITREE - Hierarchical Storage and File Management Software

12. Request for Opinion: Hierarchical Storage Management Vendors?

13. Hierarchical Storage Management