CPU runs without L2 cache?

Post by McpTro » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:37:39

i've a 43p-360 with two power3 200mhz processors.

when i do a "lsdev -Ccprocessor" i get "proc0" and "proc2" as answer.
when i do a "lsdev -Ccmemory" i get only "L2cache0" (besides the main
memory). some time ago the diag program told me that one L2cache module
has been removed since last startup. but the maching runs without
problems on both processors.

is it possible that a cpu bord works without L2cache (because it is
defect)? isn't that mechanism hardwired so that the complete cpu board
should be defect? is it possible that the L2cache still works but only
the system does'n recognize it any more?

any ideas?

thanx!

rg.
mike

CPU runs without L2 cache?

Post by McpTro » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 13:43:59

sorry, i mistyped something: it's a 43p-260, of course...

> i've a 43p-360 with two power3 200mhz processors.

> when i do a "lsdev -Ccprocessor" i get "proc0" and "proc2" as answer.
> when i do a "lsdev -Ccmemory" i get only "L2cache0" (besides the main
> memory). some time ago the diag program told me that one L2cache module
> has been removed since last startup. but the maching runs without
> problems on both processors.

> is it possible that a cpu bord works without L2cache (because it is
> defect)? isn't that mechanism hardwired so that the complete cpu board
> should be defect? is it possible that the L2cache still works but only
> the system does'n recognize it any more?

> any ideas?

> thanx!

> rg.
> mike

CPU runs without L2 cache?

Post by Chris » Tue, 08 Jul 2003 22:58:04

just acquired a dual cpu 260 myself - if its any consolation plugging
your commands in yields the same results here.
but i am an aix/ibm-kit newbie so cannot yet say more.
...except to ask some questions of my own! :)
does your system take an 'impressive' amount of time to boot?
any idea why it's not proc0/proc1 over proc0/proc2?
L2 cache should be 4MB per cpu board - any idea how (apart from SMS
which was ok) to see this from within AIX?
how can i verify AIX 5.1 is making use of both processors?
- the BND field from 'ps -em -o THREAD' is supposed to indicate the
cpu number a process last used, but all mine are dashed, which
suggests to me aix is running in a uniprocessor config.

cheers,
chris