This drives me crazy: stupid restrictions on compiling Fortran under AIX

This drives me crazy: stupid restrictions on compiling Fortran under AIX

Post by Arnulf Günth » Thu, 29 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I'm at my wits' end here.  This post is mostly academic, because I
resolved to the hard way: dismissing the whole issue.  Nevertheless
I'm interested how other feel about it and what they do instead.

Following problem:

I've got several Fortran90 files with suffix .f90 that the Fortran
compiler of AIX, xlf90, refuses to compile because of the `wrong
suffix`.

I tried xlf90 -F:f90 -c file.f90.
Now it compiles but complains about a missing 'end card' after the
last line.

I tried my own /etc/xlf.cfg, eg. -F:myxlf.cfg.  I changed
the suffix for xlf90 in the xlf90 stanza. Same error as above.

Then in a fit I tried to rename all .f90 files to the suffix .F.
Only to find out, that I can this only do manually since
find . -name "*\.f90" -exec eval 'mv {} `basename {} .f90`.F' \;
yields an 'cannout found eval'.

At this point I gave up.

--
Arnulf Guenther; Potsdam Institut fuer Klimafolgenforschung, Data+Computation

This drives me crazy: stupid restrictions on compiling Fortran under AIX

Post by Joerg Brueh » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi Arnulf !

> [...]

> Then in a fit I tried to rename all .f90 files to the suffix .F.
> Only to find out, that I can this only do manually since
> find . -name "*\.f90" -exec eval 'mv {} `basename {} .f90`.F' \;
> yields an 'cannout found eval'.

1) "eval" is a shell-builtin, "find" can not "exec"ute it as a
   normal binary.

   But there is no need to use "eval" here, AFAIK.

2) Somebody just posted here that "find" evaluates "{}" only once.
   (I did not know that !)
   Without this restriction, IMHO your command would work
   (without "eval", of course).

3) Try:
   for F in `find . -name "*\.f90" -print`
   do
      mv $F `basename $F .f90`.F
   done

Regards, Joerg Bruehe

--
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)

1. Memory problem for executing a fortran compiled program (aix 432)

Hello,
An RS6000 node with 1 Go RAM, 2 Go Swapspace, running AIX 432.
/etc/security/limits data are all set to -1 for both default and concerned
user account (except coredump and nofiles).
275 Mo Size Fortran Compiled program (no problem with compilation) executed
give the following error message :
0509-036 : Impossible to load the program due to followinbg error :
0509-026 : System Error, not enough memory available.

Thank you.

Jerome Asselin
System Support Engineer
Paris, France

2. Samba on SCO OS5 question

3. Stupid, stupid, stupid...

4. Mouse recognized by Linux, but not FBSD4?

5. Stupid, stupid, stupid! FAT access rights...

6. make[3]: *** [ip_masq.o] Error 1

7. xlf-Fortran AIX 4 code slower than AIX 3 ?

8. change username?

9. stupid stupid stupid

10. dvd drive driving me crazy

11. Root login restrictions, without complete su restriction?

12. export restrictions on AIX/RS6000?

13. Netware for AIX/6000: No Volume Restrictions?