AIX vs Solaris 7 vs Linux security?

Post by m.. » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Hello, I have systems running the above OS's. AIX 3.2.5 on a RS6000,
Linux RH 5.2 and 6.0 on Intel+Sparc, and Solaris 7 on SparcLX.

Which system do people consider most secure from external attacks?

Which system do people consider most secure to allow shell access?

I guess a lot depends on what services are running on the systems.

Any help or pointers most welcome.
Thanks
Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Post by Andreas Dilg » Tue, 08 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Hello, I have systems running the above OS's. AIX 3.2.5 on a RS6000,
>Linux RH 5.2 and 6.0 on Intel+Sparc, and Solaris 7 on SparcLX.

>Which system do people consider most secure from external attacks?

>Which system do people consider most secure to allow shell access?

I would get rid of AIX 3.2.5 right away, since it hasn't been supported
for over a year now, and this means no security fixes.  I don't even know
if it has fixes for ping-of-death and friends.  Better to compare AIX 4.3.2
to the other OSes, since Solaris 7 and Red Hat 6.0 are both pretty new.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger   University of Calgary  \"If a man ate a pound of pasta and
                 Micronet Research Group \ a pound of antipasto, would they

AIX vs Solaris 7 vs Linux security?

Post by nah.. » Wed, 09 Jun 1999 04:00:00

This comes to you from 2 sys admins working on AIX 3.X and 4.X
For one, you're correct both 3.2.5 and 4.1.X are no longer supported by
IBM.
Secondly, AIX 4.3.2 is by far, to my experience a superior system for
security matters.
Keep in mind, security is a relative term if the Admin. is a, well, ...
NOVICE .
Follow IBM ITC standards and you shall have a secure system.
Not good enough ? Try using TCB < TRUSTED COMPUTING BASE > , keeping in
mind, in the future you may have permission restrictions regarding
users.
Note: If you've NOT installed the B.O.S < Base O S > using TCB, when
you UPGRADE/MIGRATE you won't be able to do so. You have to use this
security feature as a "NEW and COMPLETE OVER WRITE" or a Fresh Install.
Thanks Yaaaaaaaall .

Farhad & Ali .

> [...]

> >Which system do people consider most secure to allow shell access?

> I would get rid of AIX 3.2.5 right away, since it hasn't been
supported
> for over a year now, and this means no security fixes.  I don't even
know
> if it has fixes for ping-of-death and friends.  Better to compare AIX
4.3.2
> to the other OSes, since Solaris 7 and Red Hat 6.0 are both pretty
new.

> Cheers, Andreas
> --
> Andreas Dilger   University of Calgary  \"If a man ate a pound of
pasta and
>                  Micronet Research Group \ a pound of antipasto,
would they
> Dept of Electrical & Computer Engineering \   cancel out, leaving him

1. Solaris 7 vs Linux vs AIX security?

Hello, I have systems running the above OS's. AIX 3.2.5 on a RS6000,
Linux RH 5.2 and 6.0 on Intel+Sparc, and Solaris 7 on SparcLX.

Which system do people consider most secure from external attacks?

Which system do people consider most secure to allow shell access?

I guess a lot depends on what services are running on the systems.

Any help or pointers most welcome.
Thanks
Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. pthreads limitation ?

3. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

4. How to use stty in ksh

5. Opinions Wanted: Solaris 2.4 vs. AIX vs. HP/UX vs AT&T Sys5v4

6. Dial from a Web page?

7. SunOS 5.6 vs Solaris 2.6 vs Solaris 7 vs Solaris 8

8. playing wavefiles, wich lib

9. Perfomance: tar vs ftp vs rsync vs cp vs ?

10. Slackware vs SuSE vs Debian vs Redhat vs ....

11. Linux Advocacy - Linux vs Windows 2000 vs Be vs OS/2

12. DOS vs. Windows vs. Mac vs. Unix vs. NS

13. KDE vs. Openlook vs. Xfree86 vs. MetroX vs. CDE