Problem: performance NFS V3 vs NFS V2

Post by Olivier AKL » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have a performance problem using NFS mount.
I export a file system from a machine using NFS V3 (AIX 4.2.1)
I mount this filesystem on a machine with NFS V2 (AIX 4.1.4)
The  transfer rate is worse than NFS V2 mounted on NFS V2
On the other hand if I mount the same exporeted filesystem on another
NFS V3 sysstem and that i use the "nfs3" filesystem type the transfer
rate is excellent.

Does anybody knows the solution to speed up my NFS mount when the client
runs NFS V2 (AIX 4.1.4) and the server runs NFS V3 (AIX 4.2.1).
I do not want to update my AIX 4.1.4 system.

        Thanks

                Olivier

 Bull S.A, Rue Jean Jaures B.P.68, 78340 Les Clayes sous Bois FRANCE
 Tel:01.30.80.63.99 Bullcom:23-76399 Fax:01.30.80.77.99

Problem: performance NFS V3 vs NFS V2

Post by Giscard Fuch » Wed, 07 Oct 1998 04:00:00

with nfs v3 a lot of bugs were introduced on nfs server.
be shure to be on bos.net.nfs.server >4.2.1.8

choose adequate number of nfs-threads (see performance guide)
nfso -a -o nfs_max_threads=$BIG_NUMBER
or smit chnfs
is a good start (where BIG_NUMBER>>8)

to see the number of active threads:
a: find the pid of the nfsd process, ppp
b: issue ps -p ppp -mo THREAD

The first couple of threads shown are control threads, the rest are
actual nfsd threads.  If you look for threads with a nonzero value in the
C column, this will give you (roughly) the number of threads which ran in
the last second or so.  If all your threads always show cpu, then you
need more.

> I have a performance problem using NFS mount.
> I export a file system from a machine using NFS V3 (AIX 4.2.1)
> I mount this filesystem on a machine with NFS V2 (AIX 4.1.4)
> The  transfer rate is worse than NFS V2 mounted on NFS V2
> On the other hand if I mount the same exporeted filesystem on another
> NFS V3 sysstem and that i use the "nfs3" filesystem type the transfer
> rate is excellent.

> Does anybody knows the solution to speed up my NFS mount when the client
> runs NFS V2 (AIX 4.1.4) and the server runs NFS V3 (AIX 4.2.1).
> I do not want to update my AIX 4.1.4 system.

>         Thanks

>                 Olivier
> --
>  ===================================================================

>  Bull S.A, Rue Jean Jaures B.P.68, 78340 Les Clayes sous Bois FRANCE
>  Tel:01.30.80.63.99 Bullcom:23-76399 Fax:01.30.80.77.99

--
DISCLAIMER:  The opinions expressed are my own and do not represent my
employer or clients.

CompuNet, Mariendorfer Damm 1-3, D-12099 Berlin, Germany

1. NFS mount problem (v2 vs. v3?)

Hi folks -
I've got a Pentium II box running RedHat 5.1.  When I hook it up to our
network (of SGI boxes running IRIX), NFS doesn't see secondary disks
correctly.  Fr'instance, we have an IRIX workstation named "foo", that
has two different disks - one partitioned as "/", the other as "/usr".
Our Linux box sees the old (invalid) /usr directory on the first disk,
completely ignoring the true /usr partition on the second disk.

One of my network-savvy guys says he suspects that's a problem with NFS
version 2, that will go away with NFS v3.

Or is it a bug, or what?

Thanks, Lee
--
Lee Jones     | "I couldn't say where she's comin' from

650-933-3356  |            -Frank Zappa
http://reality.sgi.com/leej_engr

2. Linus not recognizing 2nd hard drive.

3. Help needed: NFS V3 and NFS V2

4. lpc says printer is offline

5. NFS V3 and NFS V2 on an Ultra with Solaris2.5 ???

6. SE A1000, Intel, Linux

7. NFS V2 or V3 in SunOS 5.5/5.5.1

8. setting up Intel Satisfaxtion 400i

9. man problems - nfs from V3.2 to V3.1 machine

10. how can I tell if NFS is v2 or v3?

11. nfs performance, linux vs freebsd vs solaris

12. NFS V3 terrible performance when system is client & server