mksysb restore query

Post by Chris Coomb » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi

Quote:> Before I did a mksysb backup, I un-mounted my application and data
filesystems
> that resided on rootvg so that the mksysb would be alot quicker.

> My question is:-

> If I ever had to restore my mksysb because of O/S corruption, would my
> application and data filesystems be wiped off rootvg (because they were
not
> included in the mksysb), or would it leave them alone and restore just the
O/S
> that was on the mksysb?

Restoring a mksysb will cause the rootvg to be recreated, so any umounted
filesystems that were in it will be lost. Filesystems in other VG's will not
be affected so it would be much better having your data and application
filesystems in a different VG.

Bye
Chris

mksysb restore query

Post by Chris Coomb » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Even though you unmounted the filesystems, they are still part of the
ROOTVG.
> They will be included in the MKSYSB.  If you have to reload, they will be
> there.

mksysb DOES NOT backup raw logical volumes or unmounted filesystems. It
works by creating a list of all the files on the system and then uses the
backup command to copy them to tape. This will cause files in unmounted
filesystems to not be included in the list and hence not on the mksysb.

Bye
Chris

> > Before I did a mksysb backup, I un-mounted my application and data
filesystems
> > that resided on rootvg so that the mksysb would be alot quicker.

> > My question is:-

> > If I ever had to restore my mksysb because of O/S corruption, would my
> > application and data filesystems be wiped off rootvg (because they were
not
> > included in the mksysb), or would it leave them alone and restore just
the O/S
> > that was on the mksysb?

> > Many thanks.

1. Restoring mksysb insists on restoring mirrors.

Prior to AIX 4.1.5, restoring a savevg or mksysb would not restore mirrors.
This was great, because I could break mirrors and load a backup onto a few of
the disk to run some experiments (e.g. Y2K testing) without wiping the working
system.  When adding a new disk that requires a larger PP size, I could
restore the system onto the new big disk (without wiping out the old system),
then add the old disk to the VG when I was satisfied that everything was
working properly.

Now in 4.1.5, AIX is "fixed" so that it insists on restoring mirror copies.
This would save me a little bit of typing if I was restoring a backup onto the
same disk configuration.  However, it means I am dead in the water if I am
trying to replace, for example, two disks with 1 large disk!  I cannot find
any options on the bootable backup to turn this %^$&*$^#&* feature off!  This
has caused me endless grief and needlessly endangered data during Y2K testing
(which requires 4.1.5) until I could figure out a workaround.

As a workaround, I use a script like this to make backups:

mkszfile
ed /image.data <<EOF
g/COPIES= 2/ s/2/1/
EOF
mksysb /dev/rmt0

This means that at least I can use the backups even if the disk configuration
isn't the same.  However, it would be nice to be able to leave the mirroring
information in the backup - because it *would* be convenient not to have to
remirror everything manually after a restore.  It's just that there has to be
a way to *turn it off*.

Am I missing some hidden option on the bootable tape menus?  The situation
seems to be the same for AIX 4.2.1.

--

Business Management Systems Inc.  Phone: 703 591-0911 Fax: 703 591-6154
 "Microsoft is the QWERTY of Operating Systems" - SDG

2. mars_nwe: printing from Win95 client?

3. problems restoring mksysb tape

4. LILO problem?

5. mksysb tape restore question

6. dtksh demos - X11

7. restore mksysb with jfs2 filesystem to jfs filesystem

8. PNPmodem setup

9. mksysb restore fails

10. Restore mksysb on hard drive with larger PP size

11. Some device special files missing after restoring from mksysb

12. mksysb restore

13. Restore single file/directory from mksysb tape (aix 4.2.1)?