Handling of "share" ttys in AIX 3.2.0

Post by d.. » Wed, 08 Jul 1992 05:04:31

Quote:> Article 14683 of comp.unix.aix
> I remember that someone mentioned a possible bug in the share handling
> of ttys in AIX 3.2.0.  My symptoms are - I can enable a shared login and the
> login works (e.g., dial-in), except the dial-out always fails with an
> outstanding lock on the port.  Is this a bug?

> Thank you for any information.

> -Nathan Lane
> Trico Title Company, Santa Barbara, CA

If you're running on a fairly current s/w level, then this might be the problem.

1) Access to the port is controlled by using lockfiles.
2) To get the lock on for a port, the process must be able to open
   the port.
3) Assuming CLOCAL is not set and the port is not being opened
   O_NDELAY, carrier must be present on the port for the open to
   succeed. The open waits if there is no carrier.

The problem could be caused by the modem being configured to keep carrier
high when there is no connection. The result is that getty is always able to
open the port and get the lock. When dialing out with cu (or whatever), the
lock cannot be obtained. The modem should be configured to raise carrier only
when a connection has been established.

Post by Kevin Smi » Sat, 11 Jul 1992 03:44:13

:> Article 14683 of comp.unix.aix
:> I remember that someone mentioned a possible bug in the share handling
:> of ttys in AIX 3.2.0.  My symptoms are - I can enable a shared login and the
:> login works (e.g., dial-in), except the dial-out always fails with an
:> outstanding lock on the port.  Is this a bug?

We gave up trying to make this work.  We always got inconsistant behavior.
Sometimes you could call out, sometimes you couldn't, etc...
Sometimes the port was locked.  Sometimes you could unlock it, sometimes
you couldn't...
--
            | Email - !shady!kevin uunet!shady!kevin
Kevin Smith | Voice - (908) 874-7980
            | Mail  - ShadeTree Software, Inc., 192 Capricorn Dr. #10,
            |         Somerville, NJ  08876

1. Handling of "share" ttys in AIX 3.2.0

I remember that someone mentioned a possible bug in the share handling
of ttys in AIX 3.2.0.  My symptoms are - I can enable a shared login and the
login works (e.g., dial-in), except the dial-out always fails with an
outstanding lock on the port.  Is this a bug?

Thank you for any information.

-Nathan Lane
Trico Title Company, Santa Barbara, CA

2. Gateway Problem

3. User "tty" in group "tty"

4. SYN-Cookies

6. Developing a network module

8. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

9. syslogd: "/" in "/dev//dev/tty"

10. "pon" fails and gives "ttyS overrun" in syslog

11. "mounted cd-rom" and "mounted samba share" icons on KDE 3.1 desktop

12. HPUX - "-fpic" and "Shared Library must be Position-Independent"