Reflection X problems on newer CDE

Post by Richard Beatt » Sat, 03 Feb 2001 23:25:27

Hi,

has anyone here perhaps come across problems using Reflection X after
upgrading to the latest 4.3.3 fix level (4.3.3.0.06)?

I have spent two whole days (much too long!) trying to sort some problems
with the CDE out (coredumps, programs not starting, etc.) and it din't occur
to me that it could be the client software...

The situation is as follows;
7026-H80 - 2 proc - 2 GB's - 2 9GB SCSI disks - 12x 9GB SSA disks
loaded base AIX (4.3.3.0 from 10/2000 CD) using an 3153 as the console.
loaded X11 and applied the fixes (the whole 4.3.3.0.06 ml. pack). Rebooted
after the running the update. The machine was working fine, ran diags just
to be sure, and connected to the machine with Reflection X. Login screen -
no problem - The machine did 'hang' first time around on the blue 'starting
the common desktop enviroment' screen - this was a DNS problem - sorted that
out and voila - the desktop! I then tried the calender icon (on the toolbar)
and nothing happened, on the desktop that is! the errorlog had a core_dump
in it! (software program abnormally terminated). I then tried the print
manager icon - the busy light flashes for about 10 seconds - the mouse
pointer turns into a wonderfully small egg-timer thingy and once again -
nothing! (not even a mention in the error log)

I built a test machine here in our warehouse (using an M80 - we didn't have
any H80's lying about) and tried to recreate the situation - it worked - the
same problem. I messed around with the CDE config (I'm an ATE but my CDE
knowledge isn't up to sratch) and got the calendar working - but the rest
was still failing...

I left work at 5 this morning (I really thought I could crack it) and at
home I thought 'why not try a different X-emulator' I downloaded some el
cheapo shareware X program and it ran like a dream...

This has totally p***ed me off. Two days wasted on a failing windows app. I
feel stupid...

What I would like to know - has anyone come across this problem? - is there
a solution? - which X emulator would you reccommend? (I have heard about
eXceed = is it any good?)

any help/comments are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks, Richard Beatty

Reflection X problems on newer CDE

Post by sp2_administrato » Sun, 04 Feb 2001 01:36:26

exceed works great for me. never tried reflection...

Quote:> Hi,

> has anyone here perhaps come across problems using Reflection X after
> upgrading to the latest 4.3.3 fix level (4.3.3.0.06)?

> I have spent two whole days (much too long!) trying to sort some
problems
> with the CDE out (coredumps, programs not starting, etc.) and it din't
occur
> to me that it could be the client software...

> The situation is as follows;
> 7026-H80 - 2 proc - 2 GB's - 2 9GB SCSI disks - 12x 9GB SSA disks
> loaded base AIX (4.3.3.0 from 10/2000 CD) using an 3153 as the
console.
> loaded X11 and applied the fixes (the whole 4.3.3.0.06 ml. pack).
Rebooted
> after the running the update. The machine was working fine, ran diags
just
> to be sure, and connected to the machine with Reflection X. Login
screen -
> no problem - The machine did 'hang' first time around on the blue
'starting
> the common desktop enviroment' screen - this was a DNS problem -
sorted that
> out and voila - the desktop! I then tried the calender icon (on the
toolbar)
> and nothing happened, on the desktop that is! the errorlog had a
core_dump
> in it! (software program abnormally terminated). I then tried the
print
> manager icon - the busy light flashes for about 10 seconds - the mouse
> pointer turns into a wonderfully small egg-timer thingy and once again
-
> nothing! (not even a mention in the error log)

> I built a test machine here in our warehouse (using an M80 - we didn't
have
> any H80's lying about) and tried to recreate the situation - it worked
- the
> same problem. I messed around with the CDE config (I'm an ATE but my
CDE
> knowledge isn't up to sratch) and got the calendar working - but the
rest
> was still failing...

> I left work at 5 this morning (I really thought I could crack it) and
at
> home I thought 'why not try a different X-emulator' I downloaded some
el
> cheapo shareware X program and it ran like a dream...

> This has totally p***ed me off. Two days wasted on a failing windows
app. I
> feel stupid...

> What I would like to know - has anyone come across this problem? - is
there
> a solution? - which X emulator would you reccommend? (I have heard
about
> eXceed = is it any good?)

> any help/comments are greatly appreciated!!!

> Thanks, Richard Beatty

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Post by Michael Jooste » Wed, 07 Feb 2001 04:51:11

> exceed works great for me. never tried reflection...

> > Hi,

> > has anyone here perhaps come across problems using Reflection X after
> > upgrading to the latest 4.3.3 fix level (4.3.3.0.06)?

Having such problems with CDE is nothing against mucking around with a
poor PC X server and Java/SWING.

And I agree, exceed also seems to the be the most 'compatible' X server
I have experienced so far. Others are either slower or 'bisbehaving' -
Reflection seems to belong in this category. Of course, it also seems to
be the most expensive....

Alternative: Grab an old PC and stuff it with a small Linux/FreeBSD
installation. If you need an X terminal often, this is the best
solution.

Of course, then you cannot cuat&paste from/to WinWord from your xterms
or whatever....

--

Fuerstenallee 11, 33094 Paderborn, Germany
Phone: +49 5251 606127, Fax: +49 5251 606065

1. CDE on pc with Reflections?

You will need any pc X server.  Like ReflectionsX, eXceed, OmniX, or others.

    I will be installing AIX 4.3 and I like the CDE that you can run at the console.

    I currently have Reflections TCP suite for UNIX and Digital. And I connect via telnet.

    Is there a way to run the CDE on my PC through my Reflections telnet session?

    Or will I have to have ReflectionsX?
    Judy L Hinchcliffe

    MIS Lockwood

2. Network stalls using natd and ppp

3. Xwindows for AIX CDE (Reflexion ???)

4. Restricted account

5. CDE errors using Reflection on PC

6. Problem: nfs: task xxx can't get a request slot

7. Xwindows for AIX CDE (Reflexion ???)

8. question about video cards for digital LCD monitors

9. CDE, CDE, CDE, --- !@#%^*_(!#$

10. reflection X problem with vpn

11. reflection x problem

12. Can't X from Reflection into Linux(Redhat 6.0)

13. reflection