1. Generic SCSI device drivers
[ I've only just started to learn scsi programming on AIX and I'm not
too sure about other systems so I've reposted this followup to a
couple of comp.unix groups in case I can attract comment or correction
from the more knowledgeable. ]
IBM AIX (3.2) has a /dev/scsi which is programmable thru ioctl calls.
Their generic tape device drivers also have a ioctl interface to send
any scsi command, so even if the driver doesn't support a function,
a non-driver scsi program can access it.
SunOS ( I think. I recall seeing a boot message about loading drivers.)
has a scsi driver, but you need to buy a scsi programming toolkit for
the documentation needed to use it.
Both of those systems ( and I assume most unixes out there ) use a
hierarchy of drivers: both SunOS and AIX have bus drivers ( Sun:
/dev/sbus0, AIX: /dev/bus0 ) at the lowest level.
[ Anyone more capable of lecturing us on the specifics, feel free
to join in here! - followups to comp.unix.internals. The header
directs followups to the following question to comp.periphs.scsi,
where this thread started. ]
The next question is: Is the ioctl interface to the scsi drivers
( or scsi device drivers ) standardized ? Either by UNIX bindings
in the CAM document, or by POSIX, And if so, which systems follow
that standard ?
Steven D. Majewski University of Virginia
Voice: (804)-982-0831 1300 Jefferson Park Avenue
FAX: (804)-982-1616 Charlottesville, VA 22908
Former UVA Department of Physiology, now Department of Molecular Physiology
and Biological Physics! [ Still the same spacious offices in Jordan Hall
- only the letterhead has changed! ]
2. ADSM Striping
3. Device driver question (generic device driver)
4. Glibc V2.1.2 or V2.1.3?
5. Generic SCSI Driver/device access USCSI.
7. Generic Driver for SCSI device?
8. XF86 Client Software for Win95?
9. How to get SCSI-Host nr from generic SCSI device?
10. How to recognize SCSI CD-ROM as a "Generic SCSI" device?
11. NCR5380 generic driver code, ALPHA T128/128F/228 SCSI driver
12. IDE Generic SCSI devices (emulated)
13. Solaris 8 uscsi does not work with /dev/sg device (SCSI generic)