spread backup over several tapes

Post by bert pos » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 04:44:09

dear aix-gurus
is it possible to spread a backup-operation (tar, sysback, mksysb, backup,
savevg...) over several tapes in aix. i work with aix 4.3.3 and a 4mm
dat-drive.

thanx for a hint
bert

spread backup over several tapes

Post by Steve Greatbank » Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:42:16

savevg for one will prompt you for a new volume when you reach the end of
the first tape...
Multiple tape backups are not a good idea though, unless you have no
option... The chances
of recovering a full backup are severely reduced over the single-tape case.
sysback also can cope nicely with multiple volumes. If you need to span your
mksysb across
multiple tapes, then I suggest that you have other problems...

Quote:> dear aix-gurus