followup to differences between 9013 and 9005

followup to differences between 9013 and 9005

Post by Geoff Colem » Fri, 18 May 1990 04:58:52

->>>
->>>   Could someone out there please summarize the differences between
->>>the 9013 and 9005 loads? I'm wondering wether I should spend more time
->>>working around "features" of AIX or if they are changed (fixed) in the new
->>>load.
->>>      [ deleted stuff... ]
->>
->> The big things fixed for me was csh (yes, csh scripts now run), smit and some
->> X stuff. In addition, the PC simulator is now running.
->>
->> There is really no comparison between the two builds. It's well worth the time
->> to upgrade.

        We would gladly if two things would happen. First of all if the local
IBM office would get a load newer than 9005K1. THe second is that someone
at IBM told me that the Object File Format has changed from 9005 and since
we are dependent on having PROGRESS run and since PROGRESS have told us that
they are tired of hitting a moving target we have to wait for a GA operating
system before PROGRESS will port their code again.
        In the mean time I'm waiting for a second 6000 box but I want to know
if I should bother with trying to port more code like KERMIT or should just
wait for a new compiler which doesn't fail horribly on it (fatal error in
xlcentry).

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

->>
->>
->>
->>

Post by Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C- » Fri, 18 May 1990 23:11:50

>    We would gladly if two things would happen. First of all if the local
>IBM office would get a load newer than 9005K1. THe second is that someone
>at IBM told me that the Object File Format has changed from 9005 and since
>we are dependent on having PROGRESS run and since PROGRESS have told us that
>they are tired of hitting a moving target we have to wait for a GA operating
>system before PROGRESS will port their code again.
>    In the mean time I'm waiting for a second 6000 box but I want to know
>if I should bother with trying to port more code like KERMIT or should just
>wait for a new compiler which doesn't fail horribly on it (fatal error in
>xlcentry).

        The object file format has NOT changed, someone has been misinformed.
What has changed between some external deliveries are some small but deadly
changes to the shared libraries.  The loader will not load programs which have
unresolved references at run-time and that's what people are hitting.  If the
cause is just that something was deleted from the shared library, then your
program would have to be relinked.  If the shared library change is that a
function became a macro, then you would have to recompile, since the function
entry point no longer exists (sorry if that's too obvious, just trying to be
thorough).  When you try to execute a program built against an incompatible
shared library, then the loader will give you a few lines briefly describing
why the load could not complete.  That's the only "incompatibility" that I
know about.  The changes in the shared library (I mainly refer to libc.a)
were deemed important enough to warrant the incompatibilities between
different pre-release versions.  I agree that it has been a nuisance, but
I would personally be surprised to see anymore changes of this type (personal
observation, see the disclaimer below for more details).
        Yes, bother porting more code, please. :-)  (9005K was indeed a long
time ago)

DISCLAIMER: The content of this posting is independent of official IBM position.
External: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!stingray.austin.ibm.com!marc

followup to differences between 9013 and 9005

Post by Geoff Colem » Fri, 25 May 1990 04:20:18

Sorry to post this to this group but I've been trying for the
past week to get mail through to Marc Stephenson.
Marc If you are out there could you please send me an e-mail address that
everyhting seems to get punted at uunet or awdprime. If anyone else
out there has tips of how to get mail through to people at IBM
could you please let me know.

Thanks
Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

p.s. Marc my number is (403) 423-3046 work or (403) 439-4970 (home)

followup to differences between 9013 and 9005

Post by Marc J. Stephenson/140000;1C- » Fri, 25 May 1990 23:07:51

Any mail to IBM AWD folk is still screwy for reasons which I don't
care to go into.  Yes, there are ways to improve it, and yes, people
are looking into it, but it is not yet resolved.

If mail must be sent to me or anyone else posting through awdprime,
use the ugly bang address found in my signature to get mail in
(substituting the correct name and machine if it's not me, of course).

DISCLAIMER: The content of this posting is independent of official IBM position.
External: uunet!cs.utexas.edu!ibmaus!auschs!stingray.austin.ibm.com!marc

1. differences between 9013 and 9005 (plus some impressions)

        Could someone out there please summarize the differences between
the 9013 and 9005 loads? I'm wondering wether I should spend more time
working around "features" of AIX or if they are changed (fixed) in the new
load. One thing I have hit a roadblock on is getting a bidirectional
uucp line to work. If anyone else out there has managed this could you
please drop me a line as to how to do it. As well changing the speed line
in /etc/ports to 19200 seems to have no effect. Is there something else
that has to be changed to change the speed for a getty.

        Overall I'm quite pleased with the 6000. I've moved over cnews,
and vn with no problem (except that cron setup is brain dead). I
moved over smail 3.1 with only a few problems (awk doesn't like "if ( !dummy )
and if a string is defined as char *dummy="string" it segment violates if you
try to change a charter in dummy). We have our PROGRESS applications moved over
and they run great.

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

2. Newby SSI ??'s

3. what does 9013 have that 9005 lacks

4. RedHat 6.0 and SB128

5. Linuxant and Broadcom Wireless on an HP NX-9005

6. Dead Linux; Imagine my shame!

7. AIX 9013 & pcsim

8. building bind 8.1.1 on 2.1.0

9. Matrox Mystique ands X.

10. Binary File Differences: When Do Differences Matter?

11. what major differences between sparc IV & IV+ apart the CPU speed difference?

12. How to change the path : Followup

13. 2nd CPU prob, followup.