Paging space not seen

Paging space not seen

Post by Alex Robinso » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00



I had a request by one of our developers to increase the paging space on
their system from 512Mb to 1Gb. Their system had a single disk as the
rootvg. Therefore, I used 'extendlv' to increase the size of hd6.

When I then ran the command 'lsps -a', the result showed 1Gb of paging space
on hd6. However, when I run 'top' or 'monitor' they only list 512 Mb of
paging? Does using 'extendlv' require a re-boot for the increase in hd6 to
be seen?

--
Regards,
Alex Robinson

 
 
 

Paging space not seen

Post by cyb.. » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00




Quote:> I had a request by one of our developers to increase the paging space
on
> their system from 512Mb to 1Gb. Their system had a single disk as the
> rootvg. Therefore, I used 'extendlv' to increase the size of hd6.

> When I then ran the command 'lsps -a', the result showed 1Gb of paging
space
> on hd6. However, when I run 'top' or 'monitor' they only list 512 Mb
of
> paging? Does using 'extendlv' require a re-boot for the increase in
hd6 to
> be seen?

> --
> Regards,
> Alex Robinson

Well I always use chps to increase paging space so it's guesswork time
again.
Possibly you need to run swapon to let the kernel know what resources it
has to play with?

Regards,
Clive

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Paging space not seen

Post by Alex Robinso » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Cyborg,

Well, I added an additioinal 512Mb of swap via mkps. This process, I
believe, automatically runs swapon. I now see 1Gb via 'top', etc. and 1.5Gb
via 'lsps -a'.

--
Regards,
Alex Robinson

 
 
 

Paging space not seen

Post by Alex Robinso » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00


Cyborg,

See my previous posting. Apparently mkps does NOT run 'swapon -a'. I ran
'swapon -a' as you suggested and 'top', etc now sees all of the swap.

Ta for the tip.

--
Regards,
Alex Robinson

 
 
 

Paging space not seen

Post by cyb.. » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00




Quote:> Cyborg,

> See my previous posting. Apparently mkps does NOT run 'swapon -a'. I
ran
> 'swapon -a' as you suggested and 'top', etc now sees all of the swap.

> Ta for the tip.

> --
> Regards,
> Alex Robinson

This is logical behaviour, you would only want it to automatically do
the swapon after using chps because that's the only one of the XXps
commands that has an implication for the running kernel.

Regards,
Clive

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

 
 
 

Paging space not seen

Post by Jerald H. Mathew » Fri, 30 Jun 2000 04:00:00



> Well, I added an additioinal 512Mb of swap via mkps. This process, I
> believe, automatically runs swapon. I now see 1Gb via 'top', etc. and 1.5Gb
> via 'lsps -a'.

 Alex

Are you saying that you now have 2 page spaces on a single physical drive.
VERY BAD!
 You should only have one page space per physical drive. Multiple
page spaces cause severe performance problems under load due the fact that
when one space is marked busy while moving the actuator, the
system will attempt to use the other page space therefore both page spaces
will be marked busy for an unknown time.  

--
Regards,
Jerry M.
Seen on a Tee Shirt, "Never GREP a YACC by the INODE".

 
 
 

Paging space not seen

Post by Alex Robinso » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00


Jerald,

My original post said "single disk".

--
Regards,
Alex Robinson

 
 
 

1. Paging space size (NOT swap space size)

Linux device/file is a paging file, Linux does not swap processes out to
disk [slow 386 I/O on AT bus would cause swapping to take longer than
reading process from orig exec].

The BSD rule for swapping size DOES NOT APPLY.

SunOS uses both swapping and paging [SUNOS 3.x was about 4 times as fast
as present 4.x OS --- of course SUN is selling SPARC 4 vice SUN 2 or SUN
3 hardware]

For Linux:  Add actual memory and swap (really paging) space for maximum
you need.  Personally, I have 8 MB memory and overkill on paging file of
10 MB.  I think top(1) or something can monitor amount of paging used.
Luckily, we don't thrash like SunOS so don't need as good a utility to
monitor swapping and paging.

John

2. vi screws colors ? and how to fix.

3. Not seeing all my hard disk space under RH7.3

4. delayed logins

5. WWW page not seen

6. Samsung Xterminal boot software

7. "free" in vmstat is not free memory page scanner sees, is it?

8. Suspend and sleep on a Sony VAIO 340 with kernel 2.2.15

9. VMWare = Swap space on Host Linux and paging space for Guest OS

10. Paging space & File System space

11. paging space not activated

12. memory space vs page space

13. heap space vs. paging space (what does free() do?)