AIX 5.1 connected to StorageWorks EMA12000 SAN

AIX 5.1 connected to StorageWorks EMA12000 SAN

Post by Don Whitl » Sat, 29 Mar 2003 02:39:23

Hi All,

I've recently purchased a new IBM p650 to replace an older 6M1. The
6M1 was connected to our StorageWorks SAN via a pair of Compaq/HP AIX
PCI FC adapters (197819-B21) running Securepath 2.0A all on AIX 4.3.3.
(The FC HBAs are actually Cambex FC1000's)

To migrate to the p650, which is running AIX 5.1 ML03, I varied off
the volume group, exported the vg, shutdown the 6M1, migrated the
cards into the new server, installed the SecurePath 2.0B software, and
did a cfgmgr. Everything appeared to be ok. I saw my 3 hdisks,
(hdisk2, 3, & 4), and after an importvg all my logical volumes came
back, I mounted them, and everything looked good.

Now, I'm occassionaly getting errors in errpt such as (I/O ERROR
DETECTED BY LVM), that coincide with errors in our applications error
log stating a failure to do an io (reads mostly). In general, I know a
lot of that type of error means a potential disk/hw problem, but we
only see one every couple days. However, it does cause problems for
the application (Sybase) so I need to get this fixed. fsck of the
affected filesystem doesn't turn anything interesting up.

Is anyone else doing something similar from a config standpoint? Is my
migration procedure potentially at fault? Should I have done anything
else instead? Any input, help much appreciated. IBM and HP/Compaq are
having a tough time deciding whose problem this may be, so I'm getting
desperate to find some answers.

Thanks,
Don

AIX 5.1 connected to StorageWorks EMA12000 SAN

Post by Ujjwa » Thu, 03 Apr 2003 13:49:13

1.  Bootup in diagnostic/maintenance mode

2. Run the odm commands to check
  what he object data manager thnks.

Then odm commands can be used to fix this.

Any IBM support guy should be
able to diagnose his or walk you
through the steps.

However, backup the system before
attempting anything.

Regards
Willy

AIX 5.1 connected to StorageWorks EMA12000 SAN

Post by Don Whitl » Wed, 09 Apr 2003 01:11:47

Willy,
I am not entirely clear on your post. Diag's show nothing wrong with
the system overall. However, standalone diags cannot be run against
the Cambex cards or SAN-based disks because the drivers for the FC
cards can't be loaded when booting from the standalone diag cd.

As for running odm commands, what exactly would I be looking for and
what values do you think I should check/modify? As far as the O/S is
concerned everything appears to look correct, and the disks show up
correctly as hdisks and so on. Outside of that, what value would
digging thru the odm provide since that's where all the
device/filesystem/logical volume info is stored in the first place.

Some clarification as to what to look for would be appreciated. Thanks
in advance.

Don

> 1.  Bootup in diagnostic/maintenance mode

> 2. Run the odm commands to check
>   what he object data manager thnks.

> Then odm commands can be used to fix this.

> Any IBM support guy should be
> able to diagnose his or walk you
> through the steps.

> However, backup the system before
> attempting anything.

> Regards
> Willy

1. Veritas Cluster Server and Storageworks connected to P660 running AIX 5.1

Has anyone ever tried the following

Cluster running Veritas Cluster  - Veritas Foundation Suite HA v3.4 on
a P660 running AIX V5.1, connected to a Brocade 2400 switch (firmware
2.1.9g) and then Compaq Storageworks HSG80 controller (MA8000 array,
ACS 8.7F)

The software is working OK and failing over except when the array is
physically disconnected - at this stage it hangs and recovers 10
minutes later.

I'm looking for any feedback at all - has anyone else ever tried this,
is there any other "gotchas" with the scenario above.

Thanks for any help at all.

Regards
Stephen

2. Semaphore Idea

3. Connection to Compaq StorageWorks EMA12000

4. CDROM ioctls

5. AIX 5.1.B and 5.1.C and AIX 5.1.D

6. Static version of libdl

7. HACMP and Compaq StorageWorks SAN

8. adaptec 2940uw boot

9. gcc 3.2 on AIX 5.1 giving an IOT/Abort trap when connecting to Oracle

10. Upgrading from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.1

11. AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.1 with RAN

12. Binary compatiblity b/w AIX 4.3.3 on IBM S80 and AIX 5.1 on p670

13. How to dual boot AIX 4.3.3 and AIX 5.1