sendmail: rejecting connections on port 25: minimum free blocks on file system queue: 100

sendmail: rejecting connections on port 25: minimum free blocks on file system queue: 100

Post by Louis Banen » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi there,

Error : rejecting connections on port 25: minimum free blocks on file system
queue: 100

I noticed that my /var directroy was full. Is this the only reason why this
error occurs. We are sending a lot of E-mails with attachments (using mutt
client, commandline) and receive this error a lot lately. It seems to take a
long time (1-5 minutes) to send an E-mail with attachment of 2.5 MB. Is this
normal ? What could be the bottleneck ?

After sending I see this process:

    bplus 48994     1   0 07:29:13      -  0:00 sendmail: HAA48880
mx3.xs4all.nl.: client DATA status

We are running AIX 4.3.2 on a RS 6000.

Hope you can help me out.

Regards,

Louis Banens

sendmail: rejecting connections on port 25: minimum free blocks on file system queue: 100

Post by Louis Banen » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Thanks,

Problem is that we have batchjob's running that can send 100 E-mails with
2-3 MB attachments within a few minutes. Is there a limit regarding the
queue size or is it only the disk space of the spool directory ?.  Why does
it take 1 minute to send a 2.5 MB E-mail ? How can I speed this up ?

Regards,

Louis Banens

> Error : rejecting connections on port 25: minimum free blocks on file
system
> queue: 100

Reclaim free space on the disk hosting sendmail spool directory.
Sendmail runs with root priviliges so it could take EVEY available
byte on the disk. Sendmail has an option to avoid such disasters.

The last time the similar problem was posted the reason was
VERY big printing job. In most (but not all) situations it is
not caused by sendmail itself but by another program.

BTW 100KB limit must have very ancient origin

Quote:> I noticed that my /var directroy was full. Is this the only reason why

--
Andrzej (Andrew) A. Filip           http://bigfoot.com/~anfi

Postings:  http://deja.com/profile.xp?author=Andrzej%20Filip

sendmail: rejecting connections on port 25: minimum free blocks on file system queue: 100

Post by ynots.. » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Error : rejecting connections on port 25: minimum free blocks on file
> system queue: 100

> I noticed that my /var directroy was full. Is this the only reason why
> this error occurs. We are sending a lot of E-mails with attachments
> (using mutt client, commandline) and receive this error a lot lately.
> It seems to take a long time (1-5 minutes) to send an E-mail with
> attachment of 2.5 MB. Is this normal ? What could be the bottleneck ?

> After sending I see this process:

>     bplus 48994     1   0 07:29:13      -  0:00 sendmail: HAA48880
> mx3.xs4all.nl.: client DATA status

> We are running AIX 4.3.2 on a RS 6000.

Depending on the speed of your Internet connection, 5 mins or so for a
2.5 MB file may be perfectly normal.

If you need more space in the /var filesystem, use "smit" to adjust the
size in blocks if you are using the jfs (journaled file system). Of
course, you need to reduce the size of another partition before you
increase /var.

-  tony

-

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

sendmail: rejecting connections on port 25: minimum free blocks on file system queue: 100

Post by Lone_Wo » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

#...
#> Error : rejecting connections on port 25: minimum free blocks on file
#> system queue: 100
#>

#2.5 MB file may be perfectly normal.

#If you need more space in the /var filesystem, use "smit" to adjust the
#size in blocks if you are using the jfs (journaled file system). Of
#course, you need to reduce the size of another partition before you
#increase /var.

Not necessarily.  First he needs to perform an 'lsvg rootvg' to determine
if he has free PP's.  If he does, he can use those to increase the size of
/var, using either chfs or smit.

James

#-  tony

#-