Rhymes and reasons for DOS Merge mapped filenames for UNIX files

Rhymes and reasons for DOS Merge mapped filenames for UNIX files

Post by Pamela J. Bens » Thu, 15 Nov 1990 07:58:34

I am a technical writer faced with explaining a concept that, from my
experience, seems to have not much  rhyme or reason.

DOS Merge on the IBM PS/2 running AIX maps file names to names that are
acceptable by DOS rules.  These mapped names conform to several rules, one
of which states that files having the same names but in different directories
will have different mapped names.

Does this mean that if 10 different users create a file with the same name
in their home directories, the results will be 10 different mapped names?

In my experience with DOS Merge under AIX PS/2, if two different users
create a file with the same name the mapped names that result will be
different.  In fact, even when I created the same file twice, the
mapped file names were different.

Any insight to this problem would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks...

1. a file of filenames compared to another file of filenames

I have 2 files, each containing file names.

let's say this is file 1:
wolf
lion
shark

let's say this is file 2:
dog
cat
fish

I'm trying to do a diff between corresponding filesnames. In other words
%> diff wolf dog
%> diff lion cat
%> diff shark fish

instead of executing diff for each comparison, how can I do this with an
unix shell script?

Thanks,
Sean

2. Netscape Enterprise Server flaws...

3. AIX 1.2, DOS-Merge, & > 32MB DOS Partition ??

4. Newbies don't know how to use rexec

5. Adding a SCSI Backup to Linux Box

6. Laplink to copy DOS files to Merge?

7. can apache send cgi output as it's generated?

8. Q: Filenames turnicated DOS to LINUX to DOS?

9. copying files from unix to dos system in dos readable format

10. How to change Windows-compliant filenames to Unix filenames

11. GNU Gunzip long filename file in DOS shell

12. Should mount autodetect vfat file systems (Was: Long filenames on DOS partitions)