Maintenance level

Post by Charles Rinehar » Sat, 15 Dec 2001 07:18:52

Would some kind sole explain what is meant maintenance level 09?
And what the separate dot separated fields returned by the oslevel
command mean?

Maintenance level

Post by Marci Fry » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 05:13:41

Quote:> Would some kind sole explain what is meant maintenance level 09?
> And what the separate dot separated fields returned by the oslevel
> command mean?

When you run an oslevel command the returned value you get is the level of
the operating system.  If you want to see what maintenance level of the
operating system you are at, run "oslevel -r".  The two digits after the "-"
will indicate the maintenance level.  So if you report back 4330-09 you are
running aix 4.3.3 at maintenance level 9.  With just the oslevel command you
would report back 4.3.3.0 which shows you you are running aix 4.3.3.

Maintenance levels come out to fix known problems with the OS.

--
Posted from employees.allfirst.com [192.216.61.102]

Maintenance level

Post by Christoph Rim » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 04:03:00

>> Would some kind sole explain what is meant maintenance level 09?
>> And what the separate dot separated fields returned by the oslevel
>> command mean?
> When you run an oslevel command the returned value you get is the
> level of the operating system.  If you want to see what maintenance
> level of the operating system you are at, run "oslevel -r".  The two
> digits after the "-" will indicate the maintenance level.  So if you
> report back 4330-09 you are running aix 4.3.3 at maintenance level 9.
>  With just the oslevel command you would report back 4.3.3.0 which
> shows you you are running aix 4.3.3.

> Maintenance levels come out to fix known problems with the OS.

Yes, maitenance level is kind of SUN's Recommended Patch Clusters, that
is, a collection of rather up-to-date fileset fixes. Mainteance packages
are cumulative, so download the most recent one for your OS version and
install it.
A complete maintenance package for 4.3.3 is about 220 MBytes, as it
contains lots of filesets you will not need, due to different hardware
(have MCA or PCI) or because you do not have the base filesets installed.
On the other hand, it is much easier to install the Maintenace package and
simply ignore the "cannot install..." messages than finding all the last
filesets and installing them individually.

--
Christoph Rimek
Frankfurt/Germany

Maintenance level

Post by chao_pin » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 21:16:14

Then what is the newest maintenance Level of aix 4.3.3? My machine is in
mainence level 9, is it the newest?

--
an oracle fan,
an oracle beginner

Maintenance level

Post by Wladimir Mute » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 22:12:09

> Then what is the newest maintenance Level of aix 4.3.3? My machine is in
> mainence level 9, is it the newest?

        Now the latest is 9. However there were some post-fixes for separate
        packages.

Maintenance level

Post by Inde » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 20:23:03

hi,
        Can you please forward me a Readme of AIX 433 ML9 ?
Can you please tell me from where to get this ML 9 ?

Thankx and Regards
        Inder

Quote:> Then what is the newest maintenance Level of aix 4.3.3? My machine is in
> mainence level 9, is it the newest?

> --
> an oracle fan,
> an oracle beginner

Maintenance level

Post by chao_pin » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 00:19:16

Sorry, we buy machine from IBM, and it is still in service period, and
IBM forward the 2 CD to us. If you contact IBM , i think u can get the
two cdrom.

--
an oracle fan,
an oracle beginner

Maintenance level

Post by Gitte T?gerse » Thu, 03 Jan 2002 21:21:41

Try to look at this site:

http://techsupport.services.ibm.com/rs6k/ml.fixes.html

Regards

Gitte T?gersen

> hi,
>         Can you please forward me a Readme of AIX 433 ML9 ?
> Can you please tell me from where to get this ML 9 ?

> Thankx and Regards
>         Inder

> > Then what is the newest maintenance Level of aix 4.3.3? My machine is in
> > mainence level 9, is it the newest?

> > --
> > an oracle fan,
> > an oracle beginner

Maintenance level

Post by Christian Prue » Wed, 09 Jan 2002 05:36:28

Marci:

Another handy command to run is `instfix -i | grep ML`.  This will
tell you what maintenance levels you have installed on the system and
if you are missing any filesets from any previous maintenance levels.
Here's some sample output:

All filesets for 4330-06_AIX_ML were found.
Not all filesets for 4330-07_AIX_ML were found.
All filesets for 4330-08_AIX_ML were found.

--Christian

> > Would some kind sole explain what is meant maintenance level 09?
> > And what the separate dot separated fields returned by the oslevel
> > command mean?

> When you run an oslevel command the returned value you get is the level of
> the operating system.  If you want to see what maintenance level of the
> operating system you are at, run "oslevel -r".  The two digits after the "-"
> will indicate the maintenance level.  So if you report back 4330-09 you are
> running aix 4.3.3 at maintenance level 9.  With just the oslevel command you
> would report back 4.3.3.0 which shows you you are running aix 4.3.3.

> Maintenance levels come out to fix known problems with the OS.

Maintenance level

Post by Bubb » Thu, 10 Jan 2002 01:43:18

Agreed.

In addition to this command, you can run:
instfix -ciqk [the ML] | grep ":-:"

example:  instfix -ciqk 4330-07_AIX_ML | grep ":-:"

This will check to see what is missing from ML 7 in Christian's example.

- Don

> Marci:

> Another handy command to run is `instfix -i | grep ML`.  This will
> tell you what maintenance levels you have installed on the system and
> if you are missing any filesets from any previous maintenance levels.
> Here's some sample output:

> All filesets for 4330-06_AIX_ML were found.
> Not all filesets for 4330-07_AIX_ML were found.
> All filesets for 4330-08_AIX_ML were found.

> --Christian

> > > Would some kind sole explain what is meant maintenance level 09?
> > > And what the separate dot separated fields returned by the oslevel
> > > command mean?

> > When you run an oslevel command the returned value you get is the level
of
> > the operating system.  If you want to see what maintenance level of the
> > operating system you are at, run "oslevel -r".  The two digits after the
"-"
> > will indicate the maintenance level.  So if you report back 4330-09 you
are
> > running aix 4.3.3 at maintenance level 9.  With just the oslevel command
you
> > would report back 4.3.3.0 which shows you you are running aix 4.3.3.

> > Maintenance levels come out to fix known problems with the OS.

1. Maintenance Level 9 4.3.3 ML9 4330-09 Update PTF# U480014

For those planning patch upgrades.....

PTF number has been assigned: U480014

PTF details aren't public yet, but
it looks to be right around the corner
now.

BIP

***** APAR Info *****

APAR NUMBER: IY22024           RESOLVED AS: PROGRAM ERROR

ABSTRACT:
IY22024: AIX 4330-09 RECOMMENDED MAINTENANCE LEVEL
RMIPP 433009

ORIGINATING DETAILS:
This APAR delivers the 4330-09 Recommended Maintenance Level for
AIX 4.3.3.  This package applies to AIX 4.3.3 only, and should
be ordered specifying a service level of 4330 or higher.
.
This is a packaging APAR only.  It will not appear in the list
of APARs on the SMIT "Update Software by Fix (APAR)" panel, nor
will the 'instfix' command show this APAR as being installed
after the updates delivered by this package are installed.
.
To install all updates from this package that apply to installed
filesets on your system, use the command:
.
  smit update_all
.
Installing all updates is recommended.  However, you can install
selected updates from this package using the command:
.
  smit update_by_fix
.
Once installed, you can determine if all fileset updates for the
4330-09 level are installed using the following command.  The
'oslevel' command will still indicate AIX 4.3.3.0.
.
  instfix -ik 4330-09_AIX_ML
.
If the output indicates that not all filesets are found, you
can determine which filesets are not updated using the command:
.
  instfix -ciqk 4330-09_AIX_ML | grep ":-:"

LOCAL FIX AS REPORTED BY ORIGINATOR:

RESPONDER SUMMARY:
Packaging only.

RESPONDER CONCLUSION:
Packaging only.

TEMPORARY FIX:

COMMENTS:

APAR INFORMATION:
Reported to correct a PTF in error:     NO
Reported as a highly pervasive problem: NO
Reported as a duplicate problem:        NO

PE Apar?:       NoPE
HIPER Apar?:    NoHIPER
DUP Apar?:      NoDUP
Component Name: AIX 4.3.0
Version:        430
Component ID:   5765C3403
Submitted:      01/08/01
Closed:         01/08/01
Last Modified:  01/09/06
Change Team:    TX2727

FIX INFORMATION:
Reported release thought to contain the error: R430

Applicable Component Levels:
R430 PSN U480014 UP01/09/06 I      1000
R431 PSN         UP
R432 PSN         UP
R433 PSN         UP

APAR is fixed by one or more of the following PTFs:
U480014

APAR is sysrouted FROM one or more of the following items:
IY17356

APAR is sysrouted TO one or more of the following items:
U480014

2. LILO & IBM PS/VP

3. Maintenance Level on AIX and instfix -i

4. Text conversion filters

5. maintenance level 10 disappeared

6. vmstat

7. AIX Maintenance Level 7 back to 6

8. Tools For HTML?

9. Maintenance Level upgrade problem

10. Careful when you apply maintenance levels

11. AIX Maintenance Level ....

12. AIX 4.3.3 Maintenance Level Upgrades

13. maintenance levels