lost key to Model 250

Post by Corey M.J. Wiru » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hello All,

I've 'inherited' an old, no service agreement, Model 250 RS/6000 at my new
employer.  It's got AIX 3.2 on it that I want to blow away and install 4.x.

The problem is that nobody can find the key for it.  The lock is in 'normal'
position right now, as you can probably infer.

In order to install a whole new OS, the lock has to be in 'service' position
to be able boot from the new AIX CD.  Is there anyway I can install a new OS
without the key?  Without the key, I can't even open the case to hot wire
the service position, right?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Corey Wirun

lost key to Model 250

Post by John Simpso » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

 > Hello All,
 >
 > I've 'inherited' an old, no service agreement, Model 250 RS/6000 at
my new
 > employer.  It's got AIX 3.2 on it that I want to blow away and
install 4.x.

 > The problem is that nobody can find the key for it.  The lock is in
'normal'
 > position right now, as you can probably infer.
 >
 > In order to install a whole new OS, the lock has to be in 'service'
position
 > to be able boot from the new AIX CD.  Is there anyway I can install a
new OS
 > without the key?  Without the key, I can't even open the case to hot
wire
 > the service position, right?
 >
 > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
 > Corey Wirun

This is not meant to be flip, but this may require a low-tech solution.
Have you considered a locksmith?
--

John H. Simpson

Phone: 503-499-2667  FAX: 503-499-3629

CNF Service Co. (CNF Transportation, Inc.)
1717 NW 21st St.
Portland, OREGON 97209 USA

for e-mail, remove _not_oj_ from address

lost key to Model 250

Post by Brian Buckale » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

We lost our key once....we had IBM cut off and replace the case.  A
reputable locksmith will not help because theses are Medaco keys and they
are serialized and must be obtained by IBM.  Also a locksmith would take
forever because not only to Medaco keys have peaks and valleys, but angles
too.

>  > Hello All,

>  > I've 'inherited' an old, no service agreement, Model 250 RS/6000 at
> This is not meant to be flip, but this may require a low-tech solution.
> Have you considered a locksmith?
> --

> John H. Simpson

> Phone: 503-499-2667  FAX: 503-499-3629

> CNF Service Co. (CNF Transportation, Inc.)
> 1717 NW 21st St.
> Portland, OREGON 97209 USA

> for e-mail, remove _not_oj_ from address

lost key to Model 250

Post by SHAndrew » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am not familiar too much with the 250 - however I have noticed that all of
our J40 boxes have the same key - It may be worth trying to locate another 250
to see if that key will from there

> > Hello All,

> > I've 'inherited' an old, no service agreement, Model 250 RS/6000 at
>my new
> > employer.  It's got AIX 3.2 on it that I want to blow away and
>install 4.x.

> > The problem is that nobody can find the key for it.  The lock is in
>'normal'
> > position right now, as you can probably infer.

> > In order to install a whole new OS, the lock has to be in 'service'
>position
> > to be able boot from the new AIX CD.  Is there anyway I can install a
>new OS
> > without the key?  Without the key, I can't even open the case to hot
>wire
> > the service position, right?

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> > Corey Wirun

Stephen Andrew

lost key to Model 250

Post by Thomas Hanve » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hello All,

> I've 'inherited' an old, no service agreement, Model 250 RS/6000 at my new
> employer.  It's got AIX 3.2 on it that I want to blow away and install 4.x.

> The problem is that nobody can find the key for it.  The lock is in 'normal'
> position right now, as you can probably infer.

> In order to install a whole new OS, the lock has to be in 'service' position
> to be able boot from the new AIX CD.  Is there anyway I can install a new OS
> without the key?  Without the key, I can't even open the case to hot wire
> the service position, right?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> Corey Wirun

I used to do support at IBM and I've heard the CE's say use the old
screwdriver trick more than once!  I never tried the screwdriver trick
but I have forced another key to work.  Keys from other 200,300 and 500 series
are the same style and may work.  If you break the switch in service-mode
just modify your bootlist to look like normal-mode (bootlist -m service hdisk0
cdrom etc.. or use diags to do this)

Otherwise IBM should be able to trace the S/N of your machine and get you a new
key.

Good Luck

lost key to Model 250

Post by Thomas Hanve » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> We lost our key once....we had IBM cut off and replace the case.  A
> reputable locksmith will not help because theses are Medaco keys and they
> are serialized and must be obtained by IBM.  Also a locksmith would take
> forever because not only to Medaco keys have peaks and valleys, but angles
> too.

> >  > Hello All,

> >  > I've 'inherited' an old, no service agreement, Model 250 RS/6000 at
> > This is not meant to be flip, but this may require a low-tech solution.
> > Have you considered a locksmith?
> > --

> > John H. Simpson

> > Phone: 503-499-2667  FAX: 503-499-3629

> > CNF Service Co. (CNF Transportation, Inc.)
> > 1717 NW 21st St.
> > Portland, OREGON 97209 USA

> > for e-mail, remove _not_oj_ from address

lost key to Model 250

Post by Thomas Hanve » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I used to do support at IBM and I heard the CE's "say use the screwdriver
trick "
more than once.  I've never actually used the screwdriver trick but I have
forced other keys to work.   If the switch breaks and stays in service-mode

modify the  service-mode bootlist to look like the normal-mode.

      ex. bootlist -m service  cdrom hdisk0

or you can use diags to do this.

ps.  You could contact IBM and see if they can trace the machine S/N
        and get you a key.

Good Luck

lost key to Model 250

Post by Klaus Seg » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

If you can boot the system, you can change the "normal" boot list to
your own needs: first try cdrom, then harddisk. This is done with the
command "diag", press Enter, select "Service Aids", scroll down to
"Display/Alter boot list", select "Normal mode bootlist", "Alter current
bootlist",
change the order to cd0 = 1, hdisk0 = 2. Do not forget to put your
harddisk somewhere in the bootlist (not only the cdrom). If you have
more than one hd and you do not know from which hd the system boots,
insert all hds in the bootlist. For example: cd0=1, hd0=2, hd1=3. I do
not know if a complete system installation changes the bootlist. So
after installation remove the cdrom, boot the system and check the
normal bootlist again. perhaps you should remove the cdrom from the
bootlist or set it as last device in the row.  This would help you to
boot the system after a hd crash without a key again.

John Simpson schrieb:

>  > Hello All,

>  > I've 'inherited' an old, no service agreement, Model 250 RS/6000 at
> my new
>  > employer.  It's got AIX 3.2 on it that I want to blow away and
> install 4.x.

>  > The problem is that nobody can find the key for it.  The lock is in
> 'normal'
>  > position right now, as you can probably infer.

>  > In order to install a whole new OS, the lock has to be in 'service'
> position
>  > to be able boot from the new AIX CD.  Is there anyway I can install a
> new OS
>  > without the key?  Without the key, I can't even open the case to hot
> wire
>  > the service position, right?

>  > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>  > Corey Wirun

> This is not meant to be flip, but this may require a low-tech solution.
> Have you considered a locksmith?
> --

> John H. Simpson

> Phone: 503-499-2667  FAX: 503-499-3629

> CNF Service Co. (CNF Transportation, Inc.)
> 1717 NW 21st St.
> Portland, OREGON 97209 USA

> for e-mail, remove _not_oj_ from address

1. Lost root password on model 250 3.2.5

AIX people;

    My boss called and said that we may have lost our root password on
our model 250 running 3.2.5. We are trying to locate the person who may
have changed it, but in the meantime, how does the following sound for a
fix (machine presently running in mulit-user mode) Is there something
that needs to be done before turning the key?:

1. Key to service mode
2. Boot to installation media
3. Select the Maintenance shell feature.
4. Do a getrootfs hdisk0 (root is on hdisk0)
5. Issue a 'passwd root' and change the password
6. Reboot in multi user mode.

Would this work? Please advise here...all admins would like to know...

Thanks in Advance,

Dennis

2. Sensors settings Asus A7V880

3. 7011 Model 250 locked & no keys